Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Open pantry shelving

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We are about to start designing all the cabinetry for our new home. We have a butler's pantry with three areas for cabinets, and my thoughts were cupboards and overheads to two areas, and the third to be all open shelving.

I just want to hear from people who have done this, how practical it really is, with dust/keeping it looking clean etc. We had a walk in pantry previously and had no issues, but in a bigger area with no door, I'm a little concerned. Have attached pictures of what we are wanting.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

stellabella
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

We are just installing our scullery joinery now (I mean right now). You can save money with open shelving as you save on panelling and door hardware. However, the shelves in your second picture might be weight limited as the will sag over time due to the long unsupported span. As for cleaning, my thoughts are that this is a utility area and any dirt/dust/mess here will save dirt/dust/mess in more public areas, so is worth any compromise.
My butlers pantry is 3.6x1.8m and I plan on using one of the long walls for floor to ceiling shelving. No-one has mentioned it being a problem when I have discussed it

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89059
aphsta
My butlers pantry is 3.6x1.8m and I plan on using one of the long walls for floor to ceiling shelving. No-one has mentioned it being a problem when I have discussed it

If you are planning on having joinery span 3.6m without any vertical bracing (external or internal to the wall) I would consider explicitly discussing the risk of sag with your joiner.
arcadelt
aphsta

If you are planning on having joinery span 3.6m without any vertical bracing (external or internal to the wall) I would consider explicitly discussing the risk of sag with your joiner.

The wall of the side the shelving is on is less than 3000mm as the entry door to the pantry is on that wall.

Also, the short wall without the window at the far end is going to have a 600mm bench coming out from that wall which will reduce the length of wall the shelving will be able to be on by that amount so it’s going to be just over 2m I think by the time we are done.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89059
aphsta
...so it’s going to be just over 2m I think by the time we are done.

For the record, my joiner is wary of spanning 16mm laminate more than 1m without a support due to sag over time. Maybe he is over cautious - maybe not. YMMV, so I suggest you talk to your joiner.
arcadelt
aphsta
...so it’s going to be just over 2m I think by the time we are done.

For the record, my joiner is wary of spanning 16mm laminate more than 1m without a support due to sag over time. Maybe he is over cautious - maybe not. YMMV, so I suggest you talk to your joiner.

I actually dont like spaning any more than 800mm!

At anything over 700mm I put a centre shelf pin in the back of the cabinet and suggest anything over 900 be fixed or have a 40mm vertical strengthening rail under the front edge.
Related
9/08/2023
Built-in Shelving

General Discussion

Strong enough for what? For linen, absolutely. To climb on, no. I've got similar shelving in my garage and it holds a decent amount of weight. 900 wide shelves will carry…

22/05/2023
Pantry Shelves

Kitchen Corner

Basically. If the shelves are fixed then they will be screwed in just the same as the rest of the carcass. To re move the screws you need to remove that section of…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum