Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

How much compensation should I ask for

Page 3 of 3
mack042
It is very rarely built as a personal preference. The only reason it is done is to get more house on a block of land as it can be built closer to the boundaries and also it is cheaper for the builder.

Eaves are often a preference because most people choosing them don't even understand the function of them. Plenty of modern and architectural designs do not have eaves full stop. And the builders charge well for the work they do, so cheaper doesn't even come in to it.

Sure the op should have his issue resolved (compensation or not), but there is no doubt his claim of it lowering market value is rubbish. That's the point.

If you don't get that, I can't help you.

GLHF
I deal with builders bullying owners all the time and I am sick of it. Here we have largest project builder blundering on plans and just steamrolling owner instead of admitting and seeking conciliated consent. Its not good enough.
This is still free country where owners consent is required for a variation.
Regardless of the way owner comes across he is innocent party in this matter and has been treated very shabbily.
Ponzu
mack042
It is very rarely built as a personal preference. The only reason it is done is to get more house on a block of land as it can be built closer to the boundaries and also it is cheaper for the builder.

And the builders charge well for the work they do, so cheaper doesn't even come in to it.

Of course it is cheaper for the builder. They may not pass on all the savings to the client though.

How can it not be cheaper? Less material costs and less work for the carpenter's in installing the fibre cement sheets and trims and less work for painters on the job too.
mack042
Ponzu
mack042

And the builders charge well for the work they do, so cheaper doesn't even come in to it.

Of course it is cheaper for the builder. They may not pass on all the savings to the client though.

How can it not be cheaper? Less material costs and less work for the carpenter's in installing the fibre cement sheets and trims and less work for painters on the job too.

....wow

Really?

I...

No wonder I've been having trouble getting through to you.
I'm sorry but builders charge WELL for the work they do?

What does well mean?

Probably not the best word to use for someone to fully understand what you are trying to get across.
Are you serious? I have to explain this to you?

It doesn't matter what a builder spends because they will recoup that and their profit from you. By your logic it's cheaper for the builder to not build anything because that way they don't have to pay anyone, thus SAVING HEAPS.

If they pay a framer, plasterer, painter etc an extra 5k for your eaves, you will pay 7-10k. What the hell has "cheaper for the builder" even have anything to do with it? It's in their interest to build the crap out of your house, because YOURE paying for it, not the builder.
Ponzu

It doesn't matter what a builder spends because they will recoup that and their profit from you. By your logic it's cheaper for the builder to not build anything because that way they don't have to pay anyone, thus SAVING HEAPS.

If they pay a framer, plasterer, painter etc an extra 5k for your eaves, you will pay 7-10k. What the hell has "cheaper for the builder" even have anything to do with it? It's in their interest to build the crap out of your house, because YOURE paying for it, not the builder.

You don't have to explain anything to me, I do work in the building industry dealing with builders every day.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying is cheaper for the builder means more profit for them. They DON'T pass on cost reductions to the amount that it is valued. They love extra variations from the client like you say because they can therefore put more markup on it. No brainer.

But when a client asks for something to be removed or taken off the job they just don't give a fair reduction.
Let me put it this way. Everything the builder spends money on to deliver you a house, you're paying that cost plus whatever margin they've tacked on.

Builder pays 3k for earthworks? You're charged 8k. Builder pays 17k for a slab? You pay 25k. Aircon 10k, you're going to pay 15-20k and so on....

Nothing the builder does in the course of building your house is losing them money...unless they have to redo It. Which is why they fight tooth and nail not to fix stuff and pull wool over your eyes re tolerances, standards and guides blah blah blah. Though Even fixes are factored into overall margins.

But all things being done properly the first time, every step of the process nets them profit.
Ponzu
Let me put it this way. Everything the builder spends money on to deliver you a house, you're paying that cost plus whatever margin they've tacked on.

Builder pays 3k for earthworks? You're charged 8k. Builder pays 17k for a slab? You pay 25k. Aircon 10k, you're going to pay 15-20k and so on....

Nothing the builder does in the course of building your house is losing them money...unless they have to redo It. Which is why they fight tooth and nail not to fix stuff and pull wool over your eyes re tolerances, standards and guides blah blah blah. Though Even fixes are factored into overall margins.

But all things being done properly the first time, every step of the process nets them profit.

Did I not just say this in my previous post.

Contact work - healthy margin
Variations = +++ margin . More money for builder. Take it or leave it
Deductions = less money for builder in contract work, but less reduction than is true value = more money

End of the day the builder always wins unless the job takes too long, not quoted correctly or mistakes.
mack042
Ponzu

You don't have to explain anything to me, I do work in the building industry dealing with builders every day.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying is cheaper for the builder means more profit for them. They DON'T pass on cost reductions to the amount that it is valued. They love extra variations from the client like you say because they can therefore put more markup on it. No brainer.

But when a client asks for something to be removed or taken off the job they just don't give a fair reduction.

looking over these posts it appears you're mixing up scenarios that relate to the op dilemma and general concepts and statements not specific to the op.
Not mixed up, that's where you have taken me.

Anyway nice chat Ponzu.

Good luck with it all yhfg27, I hope you get a fair result from this.
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum