Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

Understanding mortgage broker calculations?

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys so I’m applying for 320k loan. And this is what my mortgage had come up with. I’m confused. Does this mean I’m eligible for the 320k or only 303k. Or is all I need taking away my deposit is 303k?

Kezza92
Hey guys so I’m applying for 320k loan. And this is what my mortgage had come up with. I’m confused. Does this mean I’m eligible for the 320k or only 303k. Or is all I need taking away my deposit is 303k?

$320k is purchase price. $303k is borrowed amount
On the figures provided there, the net proceeds of borrowing (i,e. what goes towards paying for the house) is $296K. On top of that, there's an 'extra' $7.7K added on to the loan for Lender's Mortgage Insurance, which means you're borrowing $303.7K to pay for $296K of house. Think of the LMI charge as an extra fee for having a deposit of less than 20%.

Note also that "Lender's Mortgage Insurance" protects the lender, NOT you, in the event of default. So really, you're having to borrow extra money (and pay the extra interest etc.) to pay for somebody else's insurance. Unfortunately, that's how it works.
Related
17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum