Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

Is This Normal Procedure For Settlement

Page 1 of 1
We have been advised that settlement on our land is due next week. Been new to this I emailed our lawyer to ask what the procedure was and would we need to attend any meetings to sign documents etc. We are putting in a sizable chunk of our own money, the rest is a mortgage. This is what I received by email today:

'We will book settlement with CBA as soon as they are in a position to take a booking (I am expecting Friday this week).

If there is any shortfall not being provided by the bank, I will let you know the amount to be paid by you and I will give you our Trust Account details.

We will then draw the sellers required cheques and hand them over on settlement.

There is no need for you to attend the settlement. We will attend on your behalf and let you know when settlement is finalised.'

Surely we need to be at at least one of these meetings to sign things!

There is nothing else that I need you to do in the meantime
Perfectly normal - you need to sign a transfer document but if that's done the rest is normal process - you've already signed everything.
I went through the same process
Worked out well as I was overseas.
That process is completely normal. It is unusual for the actual buyer to attend - you are paying a conveyancer/lawyer to do it for you. They will just call you and let you know when it is all done.
yeah pretty much what we done and all is well.
Only thing for me was we got a couple of extra small fees to pay which were rates adjustments from changeover.
Thank you all. Thats a relief to know it is all legit and above board. When we are talking such big amounts of money it just goes against everything we know to leave it in other peoples hands.
Yep, as others have suggested, that is normal, that's the reason you pay your conveyancer/lawyer, to act on your behalf. They will do all the work behind the scenes, all the associated paperwork and work out how much is needed from you in terms of funds to complete, and then attend settlement.

Cheers

Tom
Related
26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

28/08/2023
Is this normal

Building A New House

19c for 1000 litres

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum