Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

Construction contract - subject to finance?

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Finally we have a contract for our build.

It is a standard Master Builders Association contract with no special conditions.

I note the contract is not 'subject to finance'. Should I be inserting this special condition?

I don't anticipate an issue but the costs to date in case of failure to execute by us are listed as 10k.

We have started the process with the broker and don't expect an issue, will be checking with solicitor but wondering how it normally works?

Can the bank approve pending we provide the signed contract opposed to the unsigned one used to assess? (Looking at Bank West).

Thanks
Well. Answer to our own question we now have conditional approval. Need to sign contract and provide a little more information.

Now having a problem with progrss payments. Builder has specified a scope of works for
Progrss payments as 16 separate sections and a specified dollar amount for each, paid monthly.

It's very detailed not really top
Ended but the bank wants a standard schedule
Or will not approve loan. Anyone heard of such a detailed payment schedule? Builder says this is the "new" way, I am concerned If they have cash flow issue etc?
Leksie5000
Well. Answer to our own question we now have conditional approval. Need to sign contract and provide a little more information.

Now having a problem with progrss payments. Builder has specified a scope of works for
Progrss payments as 16 separate sections and a specified dollar amount for each, paid monthly.

It's very detailed not really top
Ended but the bank wants a standard schedule
Or will not approve loan. Anyone heard of such a detailed payment schedule? Builder says this is the "new" way, I am concerned If they have cash flow issue etc?

Not sure about any "new" way? 16 progress payments seems way over the top.

In Victoria the progress payments are governed by the Domestics Building Act and it is normal for payments to be in 5 stages (6 counting the deposit), which is the standard lenders look for.

I don't know what other states regulations are, but ultimately the lender is the one who is lending the money, so the builder has to comply with what they require otherwise they won't get paid.

Cheers

Tom
Leksie5000

It may depend on how complex the project is, but you should have looked at that first off.
banks are pretty strict at the moment, and they are getting tougher, here in WA. If you pull out you may loose part of your deposit as well, on work already done in the prep.Goodluck
StructuralBIMGuy
Leksie5000

It may depend on how complex the project is, but you should have looked at that first off.
banks are pretty strict at the moment, and they are getting tougher, here in WA. If you pull out you may loose part of your deposit as well, on work already done in the prep.Goodluck

Thanks. We got around it in the end, no problem with finance and got that approved conditional on signing contract. We went with BankWest.
Related
3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

6/12/2023
Home finance

Home Finance

you were just referred to get advice from your solicitor. This is a legal matter. Separately, why would you use a buyers agent for a house and land package?

10/06/2023
Construction Delayed - Calculation of delay.

Building A New House

Hi, My home construction is complete, and the handover is scheduled next week. However the construction has been delayed and I have raised this to the builder. The…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum