Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

WBC lifts fixed interest rates

Page 1 of 1
Wetpac has just increased fixed rates.. CBA and NAB done the same last week.. wonder what they are up to this time?
hmm, i hope the rates dont increase too much before our house is built... i was hoping to lock in a big chunk at a good fixed rate.
billdsl
hmm, i hope the rates dont increase too much before our house is built... i was hoping to lock in a big chunk at a good fixed rate.

Same.
i reckon banks are just playing mind games.. they are anticipating RBA to make more cuts and want people to fix their loans now.. anyway this is just my opinion.. fix or stay variable is up to you.. do what you think is best for yourself..
oreo
i reckon banks are just playing mind games.. they are anticipating RBA to make more cuts and want people to fix their loans now.. anyway this is just my opinion.. fix or stay variable is up to you.. do what you think is best for yourself..

All good to say that, but the banks didn't even really pass on the last RBA cut, so what difference will more cut's make?
lisanne

All good to say that, but the banks didn't even really pass on the last RBA cut, so what difference will more cut's make?

I think the RBA has got that message loud and clear from the banks already. The home loan rates have already started going in the opposite direction.

It took me three weeks for a bank to honour my customer's 0.7% discount off the standard variable rate. These used to be handed out automatically.
thlo
lisanne

It took me three weeks for a bank to honour my customer's 0.7% discount off the standard variable rate. These used to be handed out automatically.

Could the slower timing also being due in part to the sheer volume of loans coming through, and the greater market share of loans held by the big banks making them less competitive on rates than they were a couple of years ago?
Actually the delay was due to the reluctance to honour the discount and had nothing to do with the volume keeping them busy.

It's just a staff decision made according to bank pricing policy, normally given instantly.
But the greater market share that banks now have, combined with the volume of loans coming through now and the stricter lending guidelines have been key to them changing their lending policies - hence some discounts that were readily given to many people 12 months ago are not offered to everyone any more and are taking more negotiation to actually get now.
Related
26/06/2023
Builder Labour Rates

General Discussion

Rates are for him.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

26/03/2024
Variations on Fixed Price Contract

Building A New House

So AFAIk the outcomes of the BAL ratings form part of a clause that allows them to pass these costs on to you. However the more relevant detail is how did it go from 19…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum