Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Anyone using GU10 CFL downlights?

Page 1 of 1
From what i can gather, one of the most popular downlight options is a GU10 CFL downlight. I'd like to hear from anyone that has these sort of lights. Please.
-Expensive outlay up to $20/globe
-Slow to warm up and come to full brightness
-Seem to have a long life, we recently installed approx. 550-600 of these globes in a hotel in Darwin for the bathrooms and 18 in the entrance that burn 24 hours a day, only one failure in over 6 months out of 18.
The globes are around $13 each, the dimmables much dearer at around$40 a pop.
I guess like all things they will get cheaper as more people use them.

I know plenty of people with halogen downlights, most don't know there are more efficient options on the market now with the CFL and LEDs
E1109
-Expensive outlay up to $20/globe
-Slow to warm up and come to full brightness
-Seem to have a long life, we recently installed approx. 550-600 of these globes in a hotel in Darwin for the bathrooms and 18 in the entrance that burn 24 hours a day, only one failure in over 6 months out of 18.

- Expensive to buy, cheap to run. Got to be cheaper in the long run.
- Yes, I hate how slow they are to warm up. Some are very bad. None are very good.
- I've heard mixed reports about their life.

E1109, a few questions for you if I may:
1) What spacing do you have for your globes?
2) what wattage?
3) do you find the spacing/wattage gives enough light for living area?
4) What do your guests think about the slow warm up in the bathroom?
Casa2
E1109, a few questions for you if I may:
1) What spacing do you have for your globes?
2) what wattage?
3) do you find the spacing/wattage gives enough light for living area?
4) What do your guests think about the slow warm up in the bathroom?

1) For memory, the two front ones were around 900 apart for the ones at the front over the hand basin and the one at the rear over the bath was around 1000 back from these two. Can't remember the dimensions of the bathroom, they have either 7'6" or 8' ceilings also.
2) 11 watts rings a bell, will check.
3) From the feedback we've had, most guests find it to be adequate, the tiles in the bathroom are white so this along with the mirror and light coloured walls (except the feature wall) allow for most of the light to be reflected.
4) We do get calls regarding the slow warm-up associated with these globes but where the slow startup comes in handy is during the nocturnal trips to the bathroom, the lights not coming on full brightness at startup is a bit easier on the eyes. Once it is explained to the guest the type of globe and the characterisics of its construction, they have no further problems usually by leaving the lights on from sundown until they no longer need the bathroom.
E1109, for the entrance, what is the light spacing, wattage and light level?
Casa2
E1109, for the entrance, what is the light spacing, wattage and light level?

For the room entry or the entry into the bathroom?

The bathroom door is slightly off centre to the bathroom with the hand basin on one side of the entry and the bath the other, will have to run a tape measure over one of the rooms if I'm there during the week.
Check http://www.ecobulb.com/au/index.html saw them on the exhibition this weekend. Seems cheap- $20 for a 11w globe including fitting.
jameskrd
Check http://www.ecobulb.com/au/index.html saw them on the exhibition this weekend. Seems cheap- $20 for a 11w globe including fitting.

Having trouble opening any of the pages on the website.
Don't know what happened to You Casa2 but for me the site is working fine. Try this http://www.ecobulb.com
I have to decide in the next couple of days what size cut out for the recessed cfl downlights. I need approx 70-80 of them. My ceiling is 3m down and 2.7 up. The sparky says anything less than 18watts is useless. These are my choices. Espar GU10 20w (sparky hates them because globes more expensive to replace for us and hates the wires sticking out) or go for a larger cut 114mm regular 20w like the Nelson MAL7bc which is a large cut out and therefore harder to replace later with led when they improve and go down in price but globes for the Nelson fitting are cheap and you can pick them up anywhere.
Pierlite Dot 110 are ok but they don't have a glass diffuser. (who wants those ugly dairy whips sticking out!)

http://www.nelsonlamps.com.au/images/jp ... nlight.jpg
http://www.pierlite.com.au/data/content/7357_l.jpg

I can't use halogen, I will need too many and my electricity meter will spin out of control. Any other suggestions
I didn't know Espar made a 20W GU10. Are you sure such a beast exists?
McKinnon
Espar GU10 20w (sparky hates them because globes more expensive to replace for us and hates the wires sticking out) or go for a larger cut 114mm regular 20w like the Nelson MAL7bc which is a large cut out and therefore harder to replace later with led when they improve and go down in price but globes for the Nelson fitting are cheap and you can pick them up anywhere.
Pierlite Dot 110 are ok but they don't have a glass diffuser. (who wants those ugly dairy whips sticking out!)

I decided to go for these in 17 watt, right angle globe mounting 110mm cut-outs.
Very similar to these >> http://www.lightingillusions.com.au/shop/78/1282/jupiter-4-cfl-downlight
If LED ever actually becomes affordable, I'll deal with it then...
Yes, they look like the "brilliant" from bunnings. The nelson fittings have no plastic, all metal. The shop where I found them sell them for $44. Check this out , the sparky can pick them up for $17. What a major ripp!!!!! Still I hate having to cut such a big hole in the ceiling.
update: I haven't pulled the trigger on the lighting just yet, painters won't be finished until Tuesday ..and I much prefer the smaller GU10 size..so many decisions!
Just FYI, decided to go 12v halogen downlights.

Paid $16 for non-adjustable, including heat shield. Will probably change the included globes for Philips Masterline 30watt @ around $5 each.

There's nothing I have seen, nor tested that comes close to the natural light, and intensity that 12v halogen are capable of.
I would like halogen, but don't like the idea of the heat they generate. I want the insulation material right up against the fitting, which I cannot do with halogen downlights. Can I do this with CFDL? Not really interested in LED at the moment.
The 30 watt versions run alot cooler.

With the heat shields, insulation can be placed to a minimum of 25mm.

Also use the non-adjustable so u don't have an air gap into roof, like u would have with gimble/adjustable.
Related
7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum