Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Leave the skirting off to lay floor coverings????

Page 1 of 1
Looking for some advice / experience..
We are in the very early stages of a new build with Plantation Homes and are looking at our options for floor coverings.
We want Porcelain Tiles for lower level, Parador Laminate for common areas upstairs and a premium carpet for bedrooms.
Alternative (because I think carpet is a disgusting filth and dust trap lol) is to go with the Laminate right through the common area and bedrooms.
We have been told that we will need to get the builder to leave the skirting off so the Laminate can be laid to allow for expansion or we will need a ugly expansion joint against the skirt.
Does that mean the skirting over the Laminate will sit higher?
Do we just get the skirting left off the whole house so it can be set ate the right hight? or wont it be noticed?
Sounds like a lot of extra work to pay for after the builder has finished?
Putting skirting over floor coverings will make skirting higher. That is just logical but a good thing in my book. You would normally have to pay more for a bigger skirting board anyway. I am having skirting left off in living areas. I will be laying vinyl floor planks. The skirting will be left for me uncut and unpainted. Cheaper and easier for builder. I will then have to paint it and cut and fit it at my cost after flooring complete.
So does that mean the skirts will be slightly higher in those areas?
For example.. floor boards in common area with the skirting over the top, then walk into bedroom with carpet where the skirting was installed earlier. I assume there would be a slight change in heights that the skirt is installed. Is that something that will be noticeable?
Roomeat
So does that mean the skirts will be slightly higher in those areas?
For example.. floor boards in common area with the skirting over the top, then walk into bedroom with carpet where the skirting was installed earlier. I assume there would be a slight change in heights that the skirt is installed. Is that something that will be noticeable?

They will be at a different height. Noticeable, I don't think so but the improved look of skirting over the laminate flooring will by far be a better look in my opinion.
it will cost more due to chippy and painters having to come back to finish, but will save a little on not having to buy or install the extremely ugly quad,looks much more professional when no quad can be seen, most if not all better homes like the beautifull older homes wont have quad, is put on for a cost saving and quicker time line, led by the volume boys.
Hmmm.. Might have a better option lol.
Have worked out that if I do the "Common Area" upstairs with the laminate it will only be about 22 SQM of flooring. Bedrooms and lower floor will be Carpet / Tiles.
So I might see what it will cost from builder to supply and install laminate and I'll get the rest done

Only one option among many though lol
Boy...there are some really confusing replies here.

Have you got it sorted Roomeat?
Hi Michelle,
Yeah I think so. Got prices to work with and select the best way that suits us
We asked our builders to tack on the skirting boards so we could do our own floors after handover. That way they cut and paint them but we can remove the skirting easily and then add our own floors and then add the skirting back and just 'patch' the skirting. Well that's the theory!
Apparently the skirting has been tacked on the bottom-most position which is great. means that we won't end up with a 'gap' between skirting and wall of unpainted wall when we come around to doing our floor.
Related
12/03/2024
Window coverings

Window Furnishings

Hi there I'm looking for a independent company for a expert report on my blinds ,sheers & plantation shutters I'm in Melbourne

5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum