Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Laying of Bamboo Floor Boards

Page 1 of 1
We are getting strandwoven bamboo floorboards installed in our new house which will be a single storey on a concrete slab. The house will be in the outer eastern burbs of Melbourne.

My builder has said the 2 different methods of laying the boards are

Direct Stick onto the slab & Laying them on a 2mm Foam underlay

I am yet to confirm which method they are quoting me but can anybody tell me the pros & cons of each and which one is preferable? I have no idea when it comes to laying floorboards on a slab

Thanks
Go direct stick.
I remember reading about those floor boards and I think they don't recommend laying the 90mm boards over an underlay (I believe it's ok with the wider 150mm boards).

Personally I wouldn't lay timber floor boards directly onto a slab. I've been told by a few people who work on high quality homes that it's not usually done (I guess because the slab is never flat, and also due to the moisture in the slab). Not sure what they do in display homes. Most of the ones I've seen have tiles or a floating floor.

I also found this on the net. Interesting reading:

Feature T&G Timber Floor Installation
http://www.timber.org.au/Resources/DS3% ... 202005.pdf

I would be interested to know if any others around here have laid timber boards directly onto a slab, and if there have been any issues.
royalblue
Go direct stick.

Thanks for the tip, but could I ask why you reccomend that method?

jbdave
I remember reading about those floor boards and I think they don't recommend laying the 90mm boards over an underlay (I believe it's ok with the wider 150mm boards).

Personally I wouldn't lay timber floor boards directly onto a slab. I've been told by a few people who work on high quality homes that it's not usually done (I guess because the slab is never flat, and also due to the moisture in the slab). Not sure what they do in display homes. Most of the ones I've seen have tiles or a floating floor.

I also found this on the net. Interesting reading:

Feature T&G Timber Floor Installation
http://www.timber.org.au/Resources/DS3% ... 202005.pdf

I would be interested to know if any others around here have laid timber boards directly onto a slab, and if there have been any issues.

Thanks, I read the doc and yes it does make good reading but doeasnt really help me in deciding the correct method. And if I remember the sample correctly I will be getting 150m boards
I got curious and made some enquiries and it seems that the bamboo is a little more stable when it comes to moisture and can be directly fixed to concrete.

In that case, I would definately go with direct stick. I've found boards on underlay feel a little "fake" - similar to a laminated floor on underlay.
jbdave
I got curious and made some enquiries and it seems that the bamboo is a little more stable when it comes to moisture and can be directly fixed to concrete.

In that case, I would definately go with direct stick. I've found boards on underlay feel a little "fake" - similar to a laminated floor on underlay.

ok, I have never like laminated floors so I dont wish to emulate that, thanks for the advice
You may want to check out these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15391&p=187021&hilit=bamboo+floor+boards#p187021

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=659&p=2032&hilit=bamboo+floor+boards#p2032

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7699&hilit=bamboo+floor+boards

also, have a look at this website - http://www.bambooandtimber.com.au/bambo ... bourne.htm

we are looking at getting them as well.

Thanks Rowena

I had seen most of those threads and that website when I was doing my research and the one thing I couldnt get definative info on was the laying method and which one is the best way to go for a slab. As usual with the internet there are various opinions and while I am more informed than I was a month ago when our builder suggested bamboo I am no closer to understanding which way I should head when it comes to laying our bamboo
We are also planning to use bamboo(natural strand woven) and are plan to use an insulating underlay.

One reason I'm wanting to use the underlay is to help insulate from the slab, which should stop the floor from getting too cold underfoot..........though I'm yet to ask how much difference it will make.

cheers
macca350
We are also planning to use bamboo(natural strand woven) and are plan to use an insulating underlay.

One reason I'm wanting to use the underlay is to help insulate from the slab, which should stop the floor from getting too cold underfoot..........though I'm yet to ask how much difference it will make.

cheers

Ah yes, and I dont like the coldness of tiles so that wil have to come into consideration as well
Related
21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

1/03/2024
Waterproofing slab before laying floor buttons....

General Discussion

Hey There. No problems re jumping in. My original question was "should I have waterproofed" the concrete slab before putting batons down. We have been told we should…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum