Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

Benchtop over washing machine

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at renovating my laundry and it'll be the first time I've had a go at installing cabinets. My laundry is tiny, I have just over 1.5m to work with. My design is basically (left to right):

500mm width floor cabinet with sink/trough
640mm width space for underbench washing machine
space for end panel
290mm width broom cabinet

I will also have a wall cabinet against the broom cabinet.

What I'm not sure about is what else I may need for the benchtop to sit on. Currently, it will only have the one 500mm floor cabinet to sit on. After that, it is just empty space, so I am thinking I will need some sort of cabinet carcass for where my washing machine will go so that the benchtop will have something to sit on top of over that 640mm space. Or can I just hang some brackets off the broom cabinet and back wall for the benchtop?

I would love some advice on this.

Thanks.
You can run a strip of wood across the wall at the back and the benchtop can sit on it.

That plus the cabinetry should support it - check with your cabinet maker.
As kyton said a strip of wood or brackets will be fine!
As well as the strip of wood I would suggest a divider piece of 19mm board (melamine coated) or a chrome plated tube at the front screwed to the floor with a cover plate and the top screwed to the underside of the front of the bench. You must have support along the front of the bench. Just a strip of wood or brackets at the back and each end will not be enough. The bench will sag over time.
How do you then get the washing machine in or open the door?
Make sure the bench is high enough...I've been measuring the displays and they are probably about 2mm-10mm too low to fit a standard washing machine...
Related
2/04/2024
Extending Washing Machine Hose

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all Currently renovating our laundry, bought a new washing machine but have found that the drainage hose is alot shorter than the old machine (which I used to get the…

1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum