Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

Bench top overhang on the side

Page 1 of 1
Hi There,

I had recently some renovations done and the bench top in the laundry has been installed with with an overhang on the front and the right edge.
The left side is against the wall. I advised from the beginning, that a tall cabinet is going on the right side next to the installed cabinets completing the set up of "wall to wall" cabinets. It is even on the plans.

My question is: Was the right side supposed to be installed without overhang?

The tall cabinet has now not enough space to be pushed in to be in line with the new cabinets as the door won't open - it hits the bench top I had to bring the cabinet forward so the doors sit outside of the bench top. Also the gap behind the tall cabinet is bigger than planned, so dust is collecting behind it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Reg
is it built to plans? You mention its ïn thge plans" but has what's been delivered been built to the plan? If not, then have them adjust. Realistically i would have had them build the cabinet aswell. Trying to fit existing cabinetry in with custom cabinets is always risky for exactly this reason. Usually a false economy
Possibly the hinges in the tall cabinet are not the concealed type. They allow the door to open in the area of the cabinet and not imped outside the carcass.
ponzutwo
is it built to plans? You mention its ïn thge plans" but has what's been delivered been built to the plan? If not, then have them adjust. Realistically i would have had them build the cabinet aswell. Trying to fit existing cabinetry in with custom cabinets is always risky for exactly this reason. Usually a false economy

Thanks Ponzutwo, the plan doesn't show an overhang. I am currently in discussion with the company about it. I just wanted to see if my thinking is correct.

Unfortunately I didn't have the budget to get a custom cabinet made. I also had the kitchen and bathroom done and gone way over budget.
Ardo
Possibly the hinges in the tall cabinet are not the concealed type. They allow the door to open in the area of the cabinet and not imped outside the carcass.

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.
Related
31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

30/08/2023
Frame Overhang Solutions

Building A New House

In the end, two pieces of treated timber (20mm thick) were bolted onto the joists and planed when there was too much sticking out. Passed inspection.

8/05/2024
Slab overhang (by window frame)

General Discussion

This is the best I have, as it is plastered internally now. I should add there is a steel post in the corner of the room between the window and the glass sliding door,…

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum