Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help with kids colours please

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Our home is about 5 weeks away, give and take. I have completed my selection of colour for the inside. Mostly neutral following the Hog Bristle full strength on the walls, with a quarter Hob Bristle on the archs, skirts and picture rails and white watsonia above the picture rails. Ive chosen a browny, grey carpet for the kids rooms to match and beige tiles in their bathroom with a concrete look benchtop for the vanity.

Now my kids want a pink bedroom and a green bedroom, how could i work it in - i thought maybe a feature wall or a panel of wallpaper. But picking the right shades to go with Hog Bristle is my challenge.

I'm not that good with paint colours so have used colour brochures as a guide for most of my choices.

Any ideas to help a clueless decorator? Painting starts in a couple of weeks
Hi kymvass

I personally would not do any feature walls in your case. Below is a similar colour to what you are having but what they have done is just added colour through accessories...wallpaper cutouts, linen, furniture etc. This is the direction I would be heading.

Look at this site below...one of the best ones for childrens rooms...love it!

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/home-tours

Mrs B
lovely website mrsb
very nice!
Thank you Mrs B - I like the way you have done the wallpaper cutouts - I guess I could do them in pink!? I wonder if some pinks match the hog bristle better than others. I cant even think of a green that would match.
Hi kymvass, That first pic MrsB posted is perfect. I agree no feature paint, just go with the accessories, linen etc.. I think lots of different pinks and greens would go beautifully. I wouldn't limit yourself to one type of pink or green. In that first pic there is everything from pale pink to hot pink. You could do the same with greens. I can't think of a green that wouldnt look good with that, but I'd definitely use more than one green.
In our rental at the moment, we have browny grey carpet and walls... daughter has a blue room. Her doona cover has probably 5 different blues (and a bit of green), which are then picked up in other parts of the room, curtain, mobile, cushions, chair, lamp, rug and pictures. There are sooooo many lovely things for kids rooms. Most of ours is from ikea.... bright, cheap and cheerful, but there are many places you can find great stuff. I usually start with the linen (actually in my boys' room I found the rug first), then pull the colours out of that... you will be surprised then how quickly you find things that are perfect for your kids style and taste. Goodluck, I don't think you'll need it though, it's a ton of fun!
buzz
thats great advice buzz! i remember mrsrikster saying that she started with the curtain material (cuz it was so hard to find the right one) and pulled all of her colours and even the theme from the curtains
so the linen is a great place to start searching for colours and a theme...
I’m a fan of giving kids their colours.

It’s just a coat of paint, you can and will have to paint it out as they grow, their tastes will change.
But by giving them close to what they want you make them happy, happy little campers is a good thing!
I'm with Michelle - we have just moved and the colours my son has chosen are orange and blue. The current colour on the walls is a mushroom colour and the feature wall is aubergine. So we are are going to redo the walls white (probably dulux lexicon 1/4), change the feature wall to Bright Delight (orange), and do some thick horizontal stripes (about 15 - 20cm in height and 120cm in width) in Water Raceway (blue). Then we are going to get some Ikea Lack shelves in white and put them on the blue stripes to put ornaments and books on, plus team it with a white Ikea Expedit for the rest of his books and toys.
He's really into music so I am getting a black decal that says 'Rockstar' to put on the wall - I figure it's not too young and will suit his tastes for a few years (he's 5).
I think decals or similar could look really gorgeous but what about painting stripes like 'tangerine' suggested? You could leave the Hogs Bristle as one of the stripe colours and add two shades of pink stripes alternating with Hogs Bristle on one wall? It would be cheaper than wallpaper, and probably cheaper than wall decals as well, and it would be easy enough to paint over one wall when they are sick of it later.

To work with Hogs Bristle I would probably choose creamier undertones in your colours. For greens you could try something like 'Dulux Salvia' or 'Dulux Jungle Moss' and some pretty pinks are 'Dulux Salmon Smoke', 'Dulux Smoke Lavender' or 'Dulux Pelican Bill'.
Related
25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum