Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

help/advice needed with fabric choice for vertical blinds

Page 1 of 1
Finally, the end is near and it's time for the finishing touches....

For my window coverings, I have a personal preference for verticals as I like the way you can adjust the view/light/privacy etc but yes, they can look a bit daggy sometimes. I have had Luxaflex blinds in our current house and have never had a problem with them, but I wasn't sure how much they'd cost these days.

So, it's verticals on all windows and sliding doors except wet areas which will have aluminium venetians. We have some problematic doors and odd shaped architraves, so I don't want to go down the DIY path for the windows. I don't mind paying for quality and have budgeted for it.

I had a quote from Accent - boring fabric choices, not 100% sold on thequality, but good price.

Today, I had a quote from Kresta - slightly more interesting fabric choice, and even better price, though still not sure on the quality.

Now, I've just had the Luxaflex quote - of course it's double the price of the others
. When the rep opened the sample book and started to talk about a new fabric range, I fell in love INSTANTLY with one of the fabrics. It is perfect - it matches everything in our house. It's not a blockout fabric, so I'm thinking I will go with one of the plainer,slightly textured fabrics for the bedrooms.

Now, to my actual question - I want to use the gorgeous fabric in the upstairs living area - that is the upstairs sliding door and the windows either side of it. But, the other room upstairs is a bedroom, so that would have the plainer fabric and to not look too odd, I think I'd need to make the window directly under it the same too (the loungeroom)

So, after all that, do you think it would it look strange if I have 2 different fabrics on the front facade?
Maxie, will they be similar in colour or completely different. The one you have chosen is lovely if you can keep similar tones in the fabric that would keep it looking simple and not too busy.
For me I like all my facade blinds to match but with your facade you have different colours and materials anyway so this may detract from the windows themselves and you may not notice the window dressings as much.
Saying that also means I would keep the window dressings simple so to not over complicate your facade.
Does any of that make sense......Sorry if I babbled.
The plain one will be a champagne/beige colour - which is one of the colours in the textured one. From a distance, the textured one doesn't appear too busy - it is quite soft and translucent - I just love it but I'm really worried that if I put in my 17 year old's bedroom, I'll never hear the end of the complaints. She loves to live in the dark

thanks for your advice!
Maxie
She loves to live in the dark

Thats hilarious, I remember that phase when I was that age.
I think if its going to be similar you will be fine. The only place you will ever notice your full facade is when you are out on the road which you will probably be in the car. So you may not even notice they are different.

The pattern from that distance may look like a flat colour similar to the one your putting in your daughters bedroom anyway.
I think the fabric that you have chosen is lovely.

The other thing to consider also.....I'm not sure if you have them over there, but Kr#sta, Vist@ and D$cor to go are all owned by the same company and the blinds are all made out of the same factory. They just use the different brands to lure the different markets.
Krest@= Higher end....you think its better quality the adds are a bit more professional same as the fit outs of the shops and where they are located.
Vist@= Mid range......Cheaper than Kresta but more trageted toward the working class .happy to spend but happy to save.
Decor 2 go= low budget.....keen to get the cheapest blinds they can find.
If you go to Krest@ and then go to decor 2 go with your Kresta@ quote they will better it for you.
Thats of course if you have those companies over there.
I love your fabric, very nice, not sure if you can do this, but can they all be backed in the same backing?

That way it won’t matter what colour you put up, when their closed they will all be the same colour backing.

Ask your supplies and see what they say.
Thanks Michelle, I'll run that idea by the consultant tomorrow - it'll probably add quite a few more $$$ to it all

gweluphome, we have both Kresta and Vista, but I'm not aware of Decor - I didn't realise Kresta & Vista are the same company. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Luxaflex - I have been more than happy with their product for over 13 years now. I just wish I could afford some Duette shades - our sliding stacker door would be $3,500 on it's own - the cost of the entire quote from Kresta!
Wow that's a gorgeous fabric Maxie. If you get the Luxaflex ones, will they be verticals too or one of the other types they have?

I think the different ones will look fine on your facade especially if you can get the same backing.
Thanks donuts - I'm going to go with just verticals and aluminium venetians in the wet areas. I had considered Panel Glides in 2 areas, but still think that the verticals allow the best adjustment of light. Would've loved to have some Duettes....if I had a spare $20,000 to spend on them - ha ha
nice fabric Maxie.

Also try the brand Designer Blinds ... they have some v nice neutral but textured fabrics you can use for roller blinds, verticals etc.
Related
21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum