Join Login
Building ForumRecipes

Looking for baking suggestions.

Page 1 of 1
As the title says.

I've been charged with making a few cake type things for a wake. Others are doing sandwiches etc.
Anyone with some suggestions? There will be no refrigeration. So simple is best. At this stage I'm considering
orange poppy seed cake- I can slice it up into small pieces.
some sort of pecan slice with or maybe without choc chips- good finger size nibble
lemon slice- as above easy finger size or mini lemon Meringue tartlets
peppermint slice
Apple and cinnamon muffins, zucchini slice (lovely served cold)
thanks Erin. Apple and cinnamon muffins or variation of might work well. Zucchini slice wont work as most of the family are vegetarians and the recipe I just checked mentioned ham/bacon plus my gfriend and most of her family don't eat cheese.( should make it for hubby and myself as we'd like it) I'd also consider that a savoury slice. Others are doing savoury and sandwiches.
I've been asked specifically to make biscuit/cake/slice type things.
banana cake with walnuts is great - it can be eaten hot or cold, not to mention the ease of preparation given that you have a lot of things to prepare.
Muffins of any description made in a mini muffin tin ( pop in the mouth size), tea cake is usually popular, ginger crunch slice is easy and older folk usually like it..
brownies
Rumballs? (rum optional
) They are easy to make and always seem to be popular plus their bite-sizedness makes them ideal for a gathering.

Also the Women's Weekly has a book (I think it's called Cakes & Slices) which has lots of good ideas.
Scones? They always seem to get eaten. Or perhaps an Anzac or muesli slice. I think muffins are a good idea, too.
What about a gluten free chocolate cake in case someone is gluten free?
I do a mean gluten free jaffa cake actually but I'm not doing it for this one. One friend is already doing scones. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm thinking rumless rumballs might be good. a few small batches of biscuits, something cakeish and a slice of some sort. I have pecans so might do a choc pecan slice I think. I came up with a version of choc pecan slice yesterday that seems ok. (I didn't have any gold syrup to put the pecans in the topping though I have now. I've eaten nearly the entire thing so it can't be too bad)
Chocolate (rumless) rumballs are always a bit of a favourite and fall back of mine so I think they would be good.
I was also going to suggest a brownie slice... but sounds like you've got it sorted.

I also did a caramel slice a few weeks ago which turned out well.

You could do a cheesecakey kind of slice??

HHCIB
I did consider the cheese cake thing but with no refrigeration it could be a problem. I nearly bought some mini muffin tins today but decided not to. But I did buy the ingredients for rumless rumballs. I think with them, some cake, a slice and some biscuits it should be covered. Guess I'll be busy tuesday and wed morning mixing up a storm. "Baking" doesn't seem right with bakeless rumballs.
well I've made some rumless rumballs subsituting vanilla essence. They were still a bit dry. I had a tiny bit of mixture left and added some kahlua. to make 6 special ones to keep. Yum.

Lemon slice is almost done. Still to decide on next item.
How about a pineapple upside down cake?
A chocolate caramel slice? great with tea/coffee cut into small bite sized squares. A friend of mine made it with a chocolate ripple biscuit base recently. Found this recipe online http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/134 ... mel-slice/
Yum!!!!
Related
10/07/2023
Need suggestions for home improvement

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Looking to add an ensuite to one of the bedrooms and make it a Master BR. Please see the attached current floorplan. Need suggestions on what's the best way to do…

12/11/2023
Suggestions for acrylic render Color

General Discussion

Suggestions please for acrylic rendering Color to match austral brick urban one pepper. Pic for reference. Thanks

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

You are here
Building ForumRecipes
Home
Pros
Forum