Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Renovation Plans - where to put the laundry?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are currently in the process of renovating a 70s asbestos-roofed house with a first story 'pop-top' parents retreat and a very classy spiral staircase.
The house was described as a 'rabbit warren' up to the time we bought it and now its time to fix the layout.

We are very happy where the initial plans have progress to BUT our kitchen seems too small - especially due to the fact that we have opened up a large living space next to it.

We have thought of getting rid of the laundry so the kitchen could be bigger and incorporate a walk-in pantry but we are left with the dilemma of where to put the laundry. Suggestions have been to have a European wall laundry or to put it in the garage. We are hoping not to extend any outer walls of the house to keep costs down.

Any suggestions would be fantastic.
I would keep the separate laundry. Would mean a different layout (No separate island) but could you extend the Kitchen one cabinet out in to the living/ding area? Then have the bench top over hang come around the corner like we plan on doing with ours.

One extra double or even a large single makes a big difference to the space inside the kitchen.

Found this photo of a kitchen that has done it, looks great to me. Yours would be bigger with a nice long benchtop at the front you can sit stools under. Removing the island in the middle gives you so much more room and extending it out would then make it look like a fairly large kitchen, not small.

Thanks. The Living/Dining area actually is a step down from the rest of the house (earlier 70s Reno) so the kitchen cabinets would have to extend into this lower area. The picture looks great. We would probably have the bar stools facing towards the tiled family area rather than the carpeted area beneath.

The brief for our Building Designer was to keep the maximum walls possible to save on costs so I think they did a great job.

What do you think about having the shower & bath combined in the bathroom in order to save space and push the laundry into that area. We already have a shower in the ensuite and bathroom upstairs so would you think it would look strange? We would preferably like to have 1 bath in the house for kids.
I personally would keep the separate laundry and the shower/bath I would avoid doing if you can. One of the most common things i have seen on this forum is most people really don't seem to like the showers in the bath and the hidden cupboard laundry's unless its a tiny unit.

Its a hard one, not sure where you will get that that bit of extra space
Yes - its a tough one.

I wonder how many people combine a Pantry with a Laundry like below? I imagine there would be an issue with heat & moisture if a dryer was not properly vented.

If ya stuck for space you can do a laundry in a cupboard, put double doors on it. Install it in the garage.

Related
2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Anyone recently put in a new shower with bench seat?

Bathrooms and Laundry

I’m loving the potential versatility and practicality of a bench seat in a shower. Anyone had one of these done recently? Not sure if they are straight forward and easy…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum