Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Floor plan help!

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

We are extending our house (from about 55sqm to 110sqm - so still a small house, but a big improvement) and need to finalise the plans asap. We are pretty close to the final design but would love your input.

The main question is where to put the kitchen - the options are:

A: U-shape kitchen with a servery window out to the deck (which leaves a big dining/family room)

B: Straight kitchen with island in the middle of the room (which leaves a small dining alcove to one side and a family room to the other side.

We're 50/50 on this and would love any thoughts/comments/suggestions to help tip the balance. Any other floor plan feedback welcome.

Cheers
Tim
I prefer A. I love the idea of a servery window and I would prefer to have the living and dining next to each other too
Can't put my finger on it but I like A....

Though I think you end up with a better kitchen.... I'd put a walk in pantry in the corner of the A plan

You'd possibly even have the space to add a return to your U shaped kitchen for people to sit at. And you can never have enough bench space
I like A because it gives you a more servicable work area. The area in front of the kitchen is virtually just a walkthrough area. With A you have flexiblilty and people don't have to walk through the kitchen to go to the toilet. And I do like the servery idea.

Very exciting. That will make a huge difference to your life.
'A' looks much more liveable.

How many variations of plans are you up to now..?
you havent mentioned which way north is, and therefore which side will have most light.
A looks like it will give you more space in the kitchen.
I like A, just looks more functional to me.
For what it's worth. I like plan A way more functional and versatile. My sister has a layout like plan B... 5 years on she is still trying to figure out how to fix the layout to increase bench and cupboard space without drastically reducing her dining area.
Do you have a preference for the u shape or the island bench? The location of A is better for the size of dining/ living! But what is important to you? How exciting to be getting more space!
fmac
Can't put my finger on it but I like A....

Though I think you end up with a better kitchen.... I'd put a walk in pantry in the corner of the A plan

You'd possibly even have the space to add a return to your U shaped kitchen for people to sit at. And you can never have enough bench space

This is the winner for me!! Good luck with the renos
Definitely A!
The kitchen with the servery will be much more pleasant and make that space feel larger as it will flow out onto the veranda.
Meals and dining together allow for greater flexibility (ie, what if you buy a large table later and the designed meals area is now too small).
What a fantastic project by the way! I hope it all runs smoothly!
A-A-A

I would always prefer a U- or G-shaped kitchen - the workflow is a lot better plus a lot more space and countertops!
Thank you!! We really appreciate your suggestions!

It has been a busy few weeks and we've now settled on a design. See images below. Also note that the deck, at the rear of the house, faces directly North. The block also slopes left to right, with the carport at the lower side.

There is still an opportunity for any final updates (e.g. we are flipping the bathroom so the bath/shower isn't under the window). We would welcome your feedback.

Hi T,

The plan look good, only thing I'd do would be to extend the fridge into the meals area a bit (line up with other Nth kitchen bench) to give yourself a decent pantry and broom cupboard in the kitchen area. This will also break the sight line from the entry of the house to the kitchen sink.

Good luck with it.
Great suggestion! Thank you. Appreciate that you drew it up too. We'll wait till the room is up before deciding on the final kitchen layout.
So you are losing the shower to get a cupboard? Personally I wouldn't have a shower over the bath if I had the choice. Affects resale also. I've bought a few housing commission houses. First thing I do is rip out the linen press and add a shower. Makes a huge difference to valuation and to the rent.

Everything else I love. It's going to make a dramatic difference.
Related
2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

22/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help

General Discussion

we need accurate dimensions as well as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms needed etc to make specific suggestions but, based on estimated rooms sizes, it could be…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum