Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Don't know where to start with renovations

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

We have a queenslander which is legal height underneath. We already have a laundry and bathroom downstairs but we would like to fill in the rest to add an extra room and storage space.

We don't really know where to start to get quotes.
Can I just ring a builder to come and have a look? Or do I have to get plans drawn up first by a draftsman? We don't have any original plans for the house.

Thanks
L
Hi Lobby2
Firstly, the more work you organise yourself, the more money you will end up saving. You can certainly call a builder who will arrange everyting from design, to drafting, to hand over of the completed project.
When you mentioned that you have legal height, I am assuming that your slab under the house has the required steel re inforcement and footing system to be considered adequate.
I personally would get a draftsmam involved once I had designed the space myself. Once you have this, it makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to obtain quotes from builders. Once you have found a builder that you feel comfortable with, the plans can then be submitted to council.
I hope this helps
Erik
Thanks for your reply Erik.

I have no idea if our slab has steel reinforcement. Will a builder be able to figure that out?
Hi Lobby2
I think the first thing you could do, is contact your council and order a copy of your house plans. They will charge you a fee, and then send them through within three weeks. These should show a footing plan, outling the existing slab. With this, you can then move onto the next step.
Cheers
Erik
Cool thanks Erik!
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum