Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Do I really need to cover my solar inverter?

Page 1 of 1
I was looking into solar before the lockdown and almost went ahead with it. The solar company told me I'd need to get a cover since they could only install it on a wall that faces north meaning it would get full sun.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I really need a cover or are they just trying to make an extra buck?
What side/where is your meter box?
Did they look at the option of installing the inverter in the garage?
Does it need to be covered because it's got a LCD display or for some other reason?
If they're saying a cover is necessary are they "offering" to provide one or would they be willing for you to install one from Stratco/Bunnings etc that cost $100-$150 and that I've seen used for this purpose.
The meter box doesnt have much space around it but they can install the inverter further along the wall where it would get afternoon sun. My garage is on the opposite side so not possible to install there. Apparently the inverter cant be in direct sunlight and I've done some reading to check that's true.
I'll make sure I have the choice, I have seen the bunnings ones which I could install myself otherwise they'll charge m $50 extra. I've come across these solar inverter covers which look nice too: https://sunnycovers.com.au/ but they cost a bit more.
My meter box is on the south side of the house, our garage is on the north side and our inverter is in the garage.
Not possible to install in your garage?
I very much doubt that that is true.
Have you approached more than one supplier?
Should be getting at least 3 quotes and asking them questions like - Can you install my inverter in my garage?
Check out this joint mate their covers are all designed specifically for the brand/model of inverter
https://covermyinverter.com.au/shop/
Per123
I was looking into solar before the lockdown and almost went ahead with it. The solar company told me I'd need to get a cover since they could only install it on a wall that faces north meaning it would get full sun.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I really need a cover or are they just trying to make an extra buck?

Almost all solar inverter manufacturers require your solar inverter to be away from direct sunlight.
Adding a solar inverter cover to your inverter protects your warranty.
otherwise, you can install it inside.
You can also see some solar inverter covers and even battery covers of various colour and sizes here https://www.simplycovers.com.au/
Related
24/10/2023
Really really bad window installation

Windows & Doors

do not pay until you are satisfied with workmanship windows require flashing over the head archithrave and up under weatherboards

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

18/01/2024
What can I cover this with?

General Discussion

Excellent, thanks for the tip ... not in Sydney, but I might give the Dy Mark a try, cheers

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum