Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Connecting to the NBN network

Page 1 of 1
What are your thoughts about getting the NBN connected while building I am in two minds been quoted $900.00 to have it installed but not to sure if I should use that money elsewhere?
Mad not to.
Do it. Worth every penny.
Who is quoting that? Is it because the NBN rollout in your area has already been and gone? There would be a connection fee then.

The standard NBN hardware connection at your home is FREE, but only if you are in an area scheduled for rollout now or in the future.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/get-an-nbn-conn ... -faqs.html

Once installed you then contact a service provider, such as Optus, for an internet service account. They then do any cabling in the home and connect it to the NBN box on your house wall. If in an area scheduled for rollout in the future, then with the new Govt, it is anybody's guess when. Maybe never.

You could get instead a fibre cable internet connection from Optus which would be suitable for a future NBN hookup, if they serve your area, but it is mainly metro areas.

http://optus.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89

or just a bog standard ADSL2 account over the copper phone line.
Hi GeoffW1,

Thanks for that it is our builder that has quoted $900.00 to us for having the house connected to the NBN to be fair I think that includes all the cabling throughout the house etc. I have asked our builder for a brief description on what is included in the package but they have not yet responded
How many data points are included in your package deal?
No to sure am waiting on there reply do you have any recommendations on this as I am a first time home buyer?
I also don't know much details about NBN, get more data points.
Hi,

Here's a really good post from another thread, on this stuff, by paulw11

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67830

Cheers
If you haven't already done so, I'd be putting in some large enough communications conduit and putting in a string line to pull it in afterwards, as that way you won't need your yard dug up again at a later date.
Ask your builder to state what the price includes, e.g is it just to bring the provisions for NBN to your home e.g running fibre cable to your house and installing the NBN Hardware....

Or does it also include a basic means to distribute the NBN throughout your house rooms, that is placing data points in rooms that you wish to have internet access too.
Related
22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum