Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Combining Bathroom and Laundry?

Page 1 of 1
We are renoavting our home to live in, but plan to sell within 5 years.
At present it has a very small bathroom and a small laundry, which has doors into the lounge and to outside(leaving no space) - both these rooms are in good condition, but are very dated and we would like to retile and paint - shuld we knock down the adjoining wall and add a cupboard/laundry at one end - we would seal doors - my hubby is a builder so no labour cost there?
We also don't plan to change any plumbing or electric
it would also solve the problem we have in the bathroom with 1 very small and high window
Is there a better solution?
Should I have a bath - it's my personal want i love baths, but I don't know if they're for everyone?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47861535@N03/4389174224/
if someone could add this pic to my message I'd greatly appreciate it
Quote:
if someone could add this pic to my message I'd greatly appreciate it

Consider it done

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/nurselovescoffee/other%20houses/4389174224_1f26fde46f.jpg
Cheers
I have a combined bathroom and laundry, and while I would LOVE a separate laundry (big enough for the ironing board!), in your situation I would definately knock out the wall and combine it. I think the pros of the bigger bathroom outweigh the cons of a combined bathroom/laundry. Unless you could shift the wall to make the bathroom bigger and make the laundry smaller?
That would be a big deal breaker for me, I wouldn't buy a house with a combined bathroom/laundry.

Also, you have the toilet IN the bathroom, I am assuming this is the only bathroom? That's also a big no for me, the toilet must be separate to the bathroom. We have combined toilet/bathroom, but we have 2 bathrooms.

I never use our bath, I'd love to get rid of it for a bigger shower/vanity but I know for resale it's important to keep the bath.
I hate having the toilet in the bathroom as well, however the cost of moving it is ridiculous, and as it's right in the middle, i can't do much about it - the house itself is a 100 year old stone building, the bathroom and laundry are already in an extension, so I can't put them anywhere else
I really wish the owner had thought of this when they went to the problem of adding an extension!
Quote:
really wish the owner had thought of this when they went to the problem of adding an extension!

Hey, way back then it was probably the height of moderninity to even have an indoor toilet - in the bathroom beats haveing it down the end of the garden like the original houses 100 years ago
The toilet in the bathroom is tricky, you cant maybe turn it on its side and put a 1/2 cubicle wall around it, facing towards where the laundry is. privacy is nice and sometimes you get caught when someone else is showering
i think that as for as many people who do not like a combined bathroom and laundry, there are as many who do...
for practical reasons we are doing as similar thing...ideally i like a separate laundry, but for most first time home buyers i don't think it is a issue...
I have a small investment unit in the city where the landry is in the kitchen cupboard....it works like a treat as a investment home ( save space!)
Absolutely ...go for it
If you are looking to sell in 5 years time, who is your buyer going to be? If its a family home then I'd say yes to the bath, if its more inner city living for a professional couple then get rid of the bath and make it as spacious as you can

Holly
Lived in a townhouse and also an apartment with a combined toilet/laundry. Imho it was great, gave me 1 large multi function space instead of 2 really cramped ones.

My parents house old house had a really small laundry, separate bathroom and toilet, as does the current house I'm in atm - I would of much preferred the laundry space to be combined with a kitchen/laundry so it wasn't so small and hard to do anything in.

In an ideal world I'd prefer 2 generous separate spaces but when push comes to shove I'd take the 1 combined over 2 cramped anytime.

You should hang curtains in your windows.
For your bathroom and attach laundry combine problem. Then you make small small drawers for your laundry.
You hubby is a builder, it is very good for you. You can easily renovate your bathroom and laundry according to your choice.
Related
2/02/2024
Combining Alfresco with the family room

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi everyone, Newbie renovator here, after some advice for combining our family room in the picture and the alfresco and make a larger family room. There is a flush sill…

12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum