Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Insulation - Sourcing Online

Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to track down insulation - has anyone found competitive prices online?

Where did you get yours?

TIA
Got mine from good old EBAY. Even with the hire of large trailer it was still heaps cheaper than going through retail/trade pricing. Bought external wall insulation direct from foilboard.

Hope this helps??
There is lot of cheap insulation on ebay and for sale. However make sure you find out where it is made and wether it contains formaldehyde or not. A lot of the cheaper ones available will contain it or the seller is unable to, or doesn't want to tell if it has it or not.
Thank you.

dirkadirk - can you PM me the seller that you brought from?
I see they are alot on ebay. Were you happy with the product?
delatite13 makes excellent point.

Formaldehyde (a toxin) is slightly heavier than air and trapped in insulation ceiling it will slowly permeate into your home and slowly poison your family.

If you want to know what it can do to you Google it!

Many people who took advantage of the government's pink bat scheme got cheap imported insulation full of formaldehyde.

A lot of sub standard and toxic building materials are imported to unsuspecting purchasers. Sometimes you get more than you bargain for!
Sorry to hijack the thread,

We are Owner Building atm and will be up to the insulation stage soon, just wondering the insulation batts does not have to be installed by qualified tradespeople right? we can buy the material and stuff it in ourselves?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can do it yourself, just be careful to:
1 Wear PPE, respirator, gloves and overall
2 Make sure all areas are covered including hard to get to against walls and hip corners
3 If you are using down lights make sure they have heat shields (preferably use LED)
4 If electricians or heating installers are coming after you they will likely disturb insulation and not put it back and you may end up with thermal leaking bucket. Example below from Friday's pre final inspection

This builder's electricians have disturbed insulation, not refitted it and have let him down.

5 You will need proof of installation and that you used the correctly rated insulation for your building surveyor, keep receipts and take pics in roof space.
Thank you so much for the advice,

Would you also put the insulation batts in the posi area for a 2 storey house?
No. it's not required.
The objective is to insulate external walls and roof space from outside heat loss or gain.
There is no point in insulating ground floor from first floor because they are both internal areas.
Related
1/11/2023
Sourcing Enclosed Shower Frame Parts

Bathrooms and Laundry

I need to replace some lengths of aluminum shower frame but I can't seem to find any suppliers of this stuff. Neither the blue or orange home centers carry these things.…

7/06/2024
Sourcing cheaper priced paint?

General Discussion

there isn't anywhere you're going to get a material shift in price on the paint. If you were in the trade and were buying commercial quantities, some paint stores may do…

2/06/2024
Can I use plans purchased online....?

General Discussion

The plan (excuse the pun) ideally is to do just that and take the basic floor plans and elevations that we have bought and have a draftsman replicate them to comply prior…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum