Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Anyone had a builder build to lock up & then OB fit out?

Page 1 of 1
Howdy forum!

We are about to start building a home in Melbourne's northern suburbs and the home will be 40square meters on a slanted block. Just looking at out options at the moment. Has anyone used a builder to built to lock up and then taken over and done the fit out on your own? How did you go? Was there a saving? WOuld you do it again?

I would love any tips re: excavation, retaining walls, and places to get quality but reasonably prices toilets, sinks, taps, kitchens.

TetaRuz
That's pretty much what I am doing. I split things up with my builder. I gave him plans and engineering.

He is building up to the point that the plaster is on the walls.

I am doing my own electrical because my friend is an electrician. I also am organizing my own heating and cooling, but will probably use the builders hvac contractor.

Builder is doing driveway, engineered retaining walls, decks, plumbing and anything that affects water tightness including waterproofing and tiling, but not supply of the tile.

I am very happy with the arrangement
Yeah, I have done it - I think is just allows you to do things to your time and budget. I did a lot of the painting myself which I couldn't have done with a full build. The quotes for that work were around $11,000 mark. I saved about 30% by getting it built to lock up and then organising a kitchen and bathroom and later on flooring. I have a friend who is a plumber so I got him in on weekends and he gave me a great price.
Getting a builder to build to lock up stage, could anyone tell me whether you still have to register as owner builder.

We are thinking of getting a builder to do our house through SIP industries which they do to lock up stage. We would then organise everything else.....
mapcalla
Getting a builder to build to lock up stage, could anyone tell me whether you still have to register as owner builder

Mapcalla - I need the same answer.

Also of total cost of the build, do you think getting to lock up (inlcuding plastering) would cost about 50% of the total project, or would it cost more?
Yes, I had to get an ob license so that my builder was comfortable - the surveyor also wanted this as the final certificate of occupancy comes after I have finished my piece of the build so we both had to use the same surveyor since the work from the surveyors perspective spans multiple builders but is under one building permit
We are doing just that.....we are building a 550 sqm Queenslander and had a builder build to lock up, that is roof on, walls, windows, french doors, deck, timber floors etc and we have taken over. Hubby is an electrician so thats done, we are doing the internal fitout with a little help from subies under our owner builders ticket.

It has worked out really well..we wouldn't have been able to build our house alone in the beginning..
BuilderBoy
Also of total cost of the build, do you think getting to lock up (inlcuding plastering) would cost about 50% of the total project, or would it cost more?

Standard breakdown of progress payments to lock up is 65%

That is counting foundations, frame, bricks, roof, gutters, electrical rough-in, plumbing rough-in, windows, and some site works.

So on top add plaster.

The actual cost is hard to figure out and only someone who kept track of what they spent and when it went out along with what stage they reached would be able to tell you.

It would probably be between 40% & 70% depending on how you finished the house and the appliances, fittings, floor coverings etc... that you chose to put in.

I know its a big range, but it really dopes vary a lot dependent on finish and fittings used. A kitchen alone could be 10% of your budget just to fit out. That doesn't included what it cost to have that room built.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum