Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Am I crazy? OB near Port Macquarie

Page 2 of 7
Hello Powerd,

Is there any chance you could name the Owner Builder's course you used.

I'm doing exactly what you're about to start -- building my own home just outside Sydney.

Good luck!
fredgassit
Hello Powerd,

Is there any chance you could name the Owner Builder's course you used.

I'm doing exactly what you're about to start -- building my own home just outside Sydney.

Good luck!

Hi fredgassit

You can do a search for NSW Owner Builder Course and find various options.

I will try to send you a direct message with the provider I used, alternatively send me one and I will reply.

Best of luck to you too.

Cheers
powerd
Hi All

I have achieved another early milestone. . I have a NSW Owner Builder's permit. I am excited too Woohoo!!!

Also, I sent out my first RFQ on the weekend, and by late Sunday night I had my first response back. This is for construction of my shed - I have bought a Best Sheds kit, a 10.5m x 12m American Barn with three doors. Now I need to find concreters to build the slab first.

Also discussing some earthworks to level where the shed will go - requires cutting into the rear bank and battering the slope. And while he's there, I will get him to do some additional drainage - it rains a lot here. He has already done plenty of work on this block for the developer, and some filling, levelling and drainage works for me. So he knows the site well and he charges reasonably as he is doing other work in this area.

Can't go any further with actual construction though until construction certificate is available. But getting subbies lined up as they are so busy, they are booking way ahead.

Cheers
powerd
Sorry I I have been off the air for a while - things have progressed but also there have been a few changes.

Firstly, I received the Construction Certificate from the Council without problems. I have to say, I have been very happy with the Council staff- they have been very helpful and there have been no holdups at their end. The only challenges in getting things done in a timely way have been on the suppliers/consultants' side.It has taken me a year to get to this point, not bad given the design and fire requirments I faced for a completely custom build. Admittedly, nothing particularly difficult, but I have never done this before and the whole building industry is really busy at the moment.

And along the way I was lulled out of my comfortable retirment by the offer of a lucrative contract in Sydney for 4 months - ah, greed trumps good sense! And why can't I work in Sydney and owner build a house at the same time? Life is a challenge, surely? What could go wrong?

So back to getting the build under way. Before I left for Sydney in a bit of a rush, I managed to secure the services of Cameron the builder to do the shed, house and granny flat slabs and also build the shed. I had had orginally contacted Cameron last year when I was getting ready to put in th eplans. At that time he said he would be unavailable until April 18 so I then thought I would not be able to use him. Fast forward to various issues that needed sorting and the stars finally aligned. I received my approved DA and Cameron would become available soon.So pending CC approval, we worked together with his sparky and plumber to get the following quoted and done once the CC was stamped:

So here is a photo of my shed kit arriving on the block - at 8.30 at night!

And another.....
So progress at last. At this stage, the CC had not been approved but no problems had been encountered either. Being on the north coast, I had to accept the delivery when the truck was coming up, or wait another month.

I had lit up the site with my vehicles but the truck and loader had gret lights anyway - aren't LEDs brilliant!

THe 4WD in the back is sitting in the cut for the shed base.

Here's a pic of that being done earlier. The guy did a great job, cutting in an ag drain behind the shed pad. I got my first chace to don the work boots, flouros and hard hat and do some manual labour. I am now fully qualified laser level stick holder!!

And completed with the pad to the left for the future water tank - about 25,000L

Stay tuned - when I tell you about the first day of real work, which I wasn't there for as I was down in Sydney, and how things stopped, and maybe will restart........
Hi powerD, congratulation on becoming a fully qualified laser level stick holder! lol Interesting plans and certainly interesting human being, life is full of challenges and I like that. By the way, I am about a decade younger than you but have much similar prospective on life. I will follow your build with interest. Henry
Oh dear, more delays in keeping you informed. This work thing sure gets in the way of a comfortable retirement and owner building!

Anyway, as agreed, in my absence the sparky, Wayne, got under way with building the power board and assembling the required parts for getting power to the build site. You may recall from earlier posts that the developer had run water pipe, electrical and comms conduits up the drive (all 78m of it) to the edge of the building envelope. The comms cable was already there (yes, copper but that is all that had been installed back to the node in the half-baked NBN - grrr!).

Wayne and I had agred, that, because of the length of the cable runs, he would install 3 phase power not only to the board, but also to the shed, house and flat. The size of cable required to ensure no voltage drop over these lengths in single phase, would be be larger and more expensive. So it wasn't much more to run 4 smaller diameter cables than two larger and the conduit was sufficient size. But he did need to use his ute do pull the cables through up the driveway!!

Here's a pic of the meter box in place temporarily. It is at the top of the driveway, not by the house, in case I later decide to put a fence around the house section. Meter readers can still access it.

As you can see in this photo, things have jumped forward a bit. Just imagine the shed isn't there, ok?
Then Cameron the builder started work in brilliant sunshine. Preparing the site for digging the footings and pouring the slabs, then erecting the shed. Trensching for the water and electrics to the hree buildings. Meantime I have settled into work in Sydney and doing my OB thing by remote control. Sad that I missed see work actually starting, after a year of waiting and hoping and learning and.......well all the other stuff OBs have to do. Like pay money, and look at an empty site and dream of what will be. One day. Some day.

Cameron proved to be very communicative, organised and happy to coordinate with the sparky and plumber Todd. Which saved me a huge amount of worry and probable delays.

In comes Wayne with his team, diggers and stuff. And the ground around the house and flat is really dry, hard and the sides of the footing trenches are pulling in as he digs, which would use up more concrete to fill. So he switches to doing the shed slab, which has been recently cut out from the rear slope and levelled ready for the slab - see the last pic in my post on June 12.

All going great, he preps the shed slab then pours. He gets it finished just as the rain comes.

You can see the piping for the bathroom which will enable cleanup after a hard day building and also later, after working on my two crappy old Jaguars I am dreaming about restoring in my retirement.

BTW, since I am earning money with my contract down in Sydney, I decided I would pay Cameron (who is a house as well as shed builder) to build the bathroom for me. So when I finish the contract and get back in September I will be ready to get stuck into actually building - what excitement!

And then it rains. And rains. And rains some more. Bugger. Work stops, Cameron frustrated. Me, not so much, as I am in my comfortable office or apartment down in Sydney, and have no immediate time concerns other than to get my gear out of storage and stop paying monthly fees. Oh well, no-one said this was going to be easy.
And it rains more........ I hear a bloke down the road is building a very big boat and has lots of pairs of animals in his back yard!
:-D

So work stops. And Cameron waits, A clearish day and he tries going on with the house footings. But now the ground is so wet that the walls slump in. So he swaps to building the shed and makes good progress. Frames assembled. Then crane in and the frames are put up. Quickly. Woohoo! Walls go on. Next the roof.

In the middle of this, I drive up for the weekend to see progress, chat to my mates the kangaroos and kookaburra and acquaint myself with the mud on the block. Yuck.

Work continues. I have ordered insultation for the roof so that goes on first on wires.And just as the clouds look ominous again, Cameron realises Best Sheds have sent one roll of insulation short. And he can't get another one locally. And the rain's coming. Bugger again!!

So work stops. The footings full of water make the block look more like a rice paddy.

Another clear patch so the insulation and shed roof goes on. Plus

doors, cappings etc and finally it starts to look like a shed. Cameron can now put gear inside the shed and keep dry. Another quick trip up and this is the result - tangible progress above ground!!

A real live shed! And a big one, to fill with tools, toys and all the rubbish a bloke needs. Plus the sum total of my life's possessions once I can get them out of storage. I am pleased.
So things have been progressing well. Apart from more rain. Which slowed things down a bit. But in between showers, Cameron and the crew were able to keep working and good progress was made.

And that is where things are up to for now. The shed bathroom is being built, the walls, plus plumbing and electrical rough in are done for it, the HWS and tiles are going in tomorrow.

Plan is for the bathroom to be finished next week and site clearup done. Caneron will also do a driveway in crusher dust from the top of the current tarseal driveway, across the building area to the shed with a path to the house front door. And then he is finished.

I can then get all my stuff out of storage and save that cost. I wil start work myself building the Granny Flat in September when I finish the contract in Sydney.
Ok, so things have moved along a bit while I have been busy down in Sydney in my un-retired state. Cameron finished off the bathroom and set about cleaning up the site and putting in the driveway. Here's how things looked after that.

House slab in the foreground, granny flat at the top of the tarseal driveway.

The Canvas Castle, in which I have been living on and off for the last 2 years including some traveling around the bush, is over in front of the house slab. Oh how I look forward tot hat bathroom being ready!

At this point I was waiting for the shed power and lights to be finished off. Wayne the sparkie had done a very neat job on the conduits and cabling, fitted up the shed board and power was live at the board with a double point there. The follwoing week he fitted up the powerpoints (lots, to support my hobbies) and the lights. I went over the top with lighting - 2x150w LED floods in the centre raised roof area, three dual LED tube flouro-style highbays down each side and two 50w LED spots to fill corners. I haven't seen it yet but he tells me its very, very bright inside. That will enable me to easily work on cars and other stuff at night. Plus a twin LED sensor flood on the front and one over the side door/rainwater tank pump etc. There are also 15A and 10A powerpoints outside and 15A powerpoints inside the door, for charging my camper. Did I mention lots of powerpoints? Glad I am paying by time and materials, not a standard price per point!

Here is the bathroom, still awaiting the shower screen, connection of the HWS and me to connect my washing machine. Plus paint the walls.

Cameron's tiler did a very neat job for a shed! Neighbour came in and said he had exactly the same tiles in his bathroom in his recently completed house! Mine were less than $10 sq m on special though. Taps were cheapos from Bunnings, look and feel surprisingly good, cistern too - it was just $97 complete, yet it feels far from cheap. In fact the ceramic bowl and cistern quality and solidity of the lid feels similar to the one in my flashy Meriton apartment I am staying in Sydney at. Shower rose was a quality euro one I got by chance at a clearance in Sydney for $18 instead of over $100 - I bought a second one, with a matching mixer tap for the granny flat. Top buy! There is a a laundry sink in the left corner which will double as a vanity.
powerd
Ok, so things have moved along a bit while I have been busy down in Sydney in my un-retired state. Cameron finished off the bathroom and set about cleaning up the site and putting in the driveway. Here's how things looked after that.

House slab in the foreground, granny flat at the top of the tarseal driveway.

The Canvas Castle, in which I have been living on and off for the last 2 years including some traveling around the bush, is over in front of the house slab. Oh how I look forward tot hat bathroom being ready!

At this point I was waiting for the shed power and lights to be finished off. Wayne the sparkie had done a very neat job on the conduits and cabling, fitted up the shed board and power was live at the board with a double point there. The follwoing week he fitted up the powerpoints (lots, to support my hobbies) and the lights. I went over the top with lighting - 2x150w LED floods in the centre raised roof area, three dual LED tube flouro-style highbays down each side and two 50w LED spots to fill corners. I haven't seen it yet but he tells me its very, very bright inside. That will enable me to easily work on cars and other stuff at night. Plus a twin LED sensor flood on the front and one over the side door/rainwater tank pump etc. There are also 15A and 10A powerpoints outside and 15A powerpoints inside the door, for charging my camper. Did I mention lots of powerpoints? Glad I am paying by time and materials, not a standard price per point!

Here is the bathroom, still awaiting the shower screen, connection of the HWS and me to connect my washing machine. Plus paint the walls.

Cameron's tiler did a very neat job for a shed! Neighbour came in and said he had exactly the same tiles in his bathroom in his recently completed house! Mine were less than $10 sq m on special though. Taps were cheapos from Bunnings, look and feel surprisingly good, cistern too - it was just $97 complete, yet it feels far from cheap. In fact the ceramic bowl and cistern quality and solidity of the lid feels similar to the one in my flashy Meriton apartment I am staying in Sydney at. Shower rose was a quality euro one I got by chance at a clearance in Sydney for $18 instead of over $100 - I bought a second one, with a matching mixer tap for the granny flat. Top buy! There is a a laundry sink in the left corner which will double as a vanity.

That's the way to do it!
Thanks KKS. Got a bit more to tell, but I will do the next instalment over the weekend. I can't wait until I start putting up frames and getting a roof on.

Stay tuned as I fill up my lovely big shed!
So I took some time off from work and whipped up north so I could get my stuff out of storage after two years in a container and a half at Port Macquarie. The guys arrived with the first container at 8.00am sharp, as promised and we started unloading. One of the challenges was that Wayne the trusty sparkie still had some work to complete so needed the walls left clear (about a metre) and the centre as well. But I had lots of stuff to spread around, and was trying to sort it into groups of the things I needed access to. But the removals team were really quick and helpful, emptied the first container, went off and had an early lunch and brought the half container back.

All unloaded by 1pm, and I set about some further reorganising and setting up a bed for me when I was on working on site.

My comfy little corner......

Fridge going with some essential supplies.......

Finally, all set up and looking neat.......

Then back to Sydney to keep on working and pay for some bills.

In the following week, the sparkie finished off, the plumber hooked up the hot water service, so this stage is now complete.
I am working full time in Sydney until end August, then part time as required over the following two months.

During that time I'll come back and put in the order for the frames. I have lined up some friends to come and help me put up the frames. Its a task I have never done before so I need their experience as owner builders as well as their muscle! I need to buy some tools such as extra levels, a laser and much more on top of what i have already.

I'll also line up the roofer for early November and prepare the order for the Versiclad roof panels. My mates and I don't want to work much at heights - we are mindful of our age! Plus the roofer and his team, with a crane, will get the house and flat Versiclad roof panels on in just a couple of days, without flashing and gutters, so it is worth paying for that. The alfresco dining area needs a conventional roof section built out from the living area wall top, including fixing of steel uprights, which is going to require more capability than we have.

Around mid October, the frames should arrive on site and we will erect them over the following two weeks. Then the roof on early November.

At least that's the plan.........
Well, I am back on site now, having finished up my full-time work in Sydney. I still have a couple of trips back for completion activities, but now at least i can get to work on preparing for the build.

I submitted the RFQ for the frames yesterday, will take up to a week to come back to me. If I don't have a heart attack when I see it (have done a ballpark figure based on a rule of thumb given to me by their estimator. See how I go. Will take 3-4 weeks to build.

Meantime I am organising all the boxes and furniture in the shed and setting up a workshop are with all my tools available etc.

Speaking of tools, my Bunning Powerpass came in handy yesterday buying an AEG 11 piece 18v toolset. Plus two Pro 6Ah batteries by redemption. Not only was the redemption part of This will add to my AEG hammer drill, impact driver, angle grinder and two 5Ah batteries I have already. I now have duplicates, but I don't want my mates who are helping me (for free, just because they are great people, travelling up from Canberra too) to have to use their own tools, if possible. Also, they had a 254mm AEG sliding compound mitre saw on a very good special so Picked up a Bosch Blue Laser measure as well. I love buying tools! All are good quality trade level tools so I should be able to sell off any duplicates I don't need when I am finished with them. I already have a good compressor and nail gun, most other tools tools, gadgets etc that I need. Just need to find them among all the boxes labelled "garage"!

I am tentatively considering a laser level to assist with a variety of building tasks - not necessary, but a couple of tradies and the Bunnings guy I spoke to reckon it speeds things up - at $799 for the Bosch Blue I would hope so! Have used one while helping with the levelling of the shed and water tanks pads and it was fantastic, but not sure how much time it would save me and how much it would make things easier. The one I am looking at is a Bosch GRL300 HVG set. Anyone got any experience to pass on and help me decide?

I am spending the weekend opening boxes, finding tools, fixing in some towel rails, hooks, racks etc into the shed washroom. Hooking up the washing machine, setting up my workbench and some tool cupboards and shelves.

So much to do, and I haven't even started building yet! But I am looing forward to the work.
I bought a green beam cross hair level ( CL101G) from Sydney tools. It also has plumb lines up and down. I've been using it to set out my slab and also levels. With a detector, it's good for up to 50 mtrs and at night the beam is easy to see 30 metres away and beyond. You can also fix the beam for stairs and the like. It's about $250 and I think has more ongoing use than a rotary beam as you get vertical and horizontal beams plus plumb. You don't get a 360° beam but it's easy enough to move it around once you have your first level. Seems to be well made and accurate.
I'd be interested what others think.

Right now Amazon are your friend for a simple, use it for the project and throw it away laser level. Thing that surprises me about these laser levels of all quality is how the accuracy standard at, say 25m, varies so much.
Thanks kks and s4s. I think I will do more research and try and work out what i need it for etc. I was told this Bosch has a good accuracy level and is the one most tradies buy from Bunnings. It is self--levelling too, within +/-5%. But I have no idea whether it is worth spending the extra money on, or how much I would use/need it.

I made good progress today - got most tools unpacked and found most of what i needed. But more to do on that score yet. While I tried to sort them as the removalists brought them out of the containers, I am sure there are some more garage boxes buried under "Bed2", "Laundry" etc.
Now that I have finished work down in Sydney, later than expected, I can get stuck into work on the house. I expect to be working more or less full time on the house and granny flat, apart from a few essential trips away. I aim to get the granny flat ready to occupy around February-March next year, the house somewhere around mid year. But, as always, no fixed schedule or cost, so I can't be late or over budget!!

I will also update more often now as building progresses.

Step one has been getting the frames and windows built and delivered. After some initial problems with the window makers I finally got a quote and the windows schedule. I had chosen the maker earlier and all windows were standard catalogue items to keep cost down and simplify things. The delay was frustrating but I am sure there will be more of them.

However, that delay had set back production of the frames as they were waiting on the windows schedule to confirm apertures. The framing company had planned well and as soon as I confirmed my order, they had set about having all the brackets, posts, beams etc, bought in or ordered. A number of these items were custom made and would take a little while to be delivered, so they wanted to ensure everything was ready for the expected delivery date. It's a large job (house and Granny Flat) and there is quite a bit of one-off stuff involved.

I can't speak highly enough for the helpfulness and service of the framing company.

Anyway, the first batch of frames and arrived a week ago, the second batch is still to come.

Finally, a sense of progress towards getting the house structure up.
Related
9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

17/03/2024
Any reputable custom builder in lake macquarie area

Building A New House

It is in lake macquarie area and dimensions are width 14 m and depth 8 m and the slope is 1/5 going down from the road.

16/12/2023
solar car port in sydney

General Discussion

I looked into it a few years ago and my conclusion was to just build a carport that will support panels and get a system installed separately. The company I looked at had…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum