Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Tank - 3rd try

Page 2 of 2
Months have dragged by, but finally an update. After 13 rejections, a plumber was booked, but was a no show for 12 weeks. Eventually found another who turned up. Even better, he read all the instructions on the box for the SupaDiverta, and got some understanding about vortices.
Not everything has been fully done as planned as there's still a lot of other work in progress, and as usual, everyone turns up at the same time. The major omission for now is not connecting the First Flush fittings to the SupaDivertas. An interim simpler solution was to run poly down to a tap valve, which then fed into larger poly, ending at the drainage pit near the tank.
Like the majority of other aspects of the overall project, very little has gone to plan or budget.

garage side shows the start of the lines to the tank, and the Metric Poly exiting the pump and filters toward the house.
The old system on Imperial poly still feeds inline to the house, but with backflow valves the new system will be enabled by a valve at the pump, and the old system pump being switched off.

Gutter was installed after these photos. Unfortunately the roof plumber went on 4 weeks holiday, so missed out on 125mm in 2 days!

It was a bit of a juggle with all the pipes.
90mm Stormwater goes to the right and meets the existing house system feeding the old tanks.

There are 2 more downpipes and SupaDivertas along the Shed wall.

note. to smooth the flow into the 40mm PVC, 45º elbows were used. The T into the 40mmm pipe was rotated at 45º, saving another adapter..

transit from shed under path to tank.
Unfortunately I was elsewhere when the Sediment Trap was done, and think the rise before it may affect it's performance.

Tank Connections. not shown around to the left is the CFA outlet.
The PondFlex and 40mm connections hopefully are the gentle rise, though there's a 90º elbow at the input.
at ground level is an incorrectly installed 20mm outlet, but with a valve installed if ever needed.
The mid level outlet is 32mm Metric. alongside another incorrectly installed 25mm outlet, again with a valve fitted in case of need.

A Grundfos constant pressure pump was a bit of a splurge, but with the old Davey dipping around 5 times in a 5 minute shower, it was deemed essential. Probably not really required, water filters were also installed.
The catchment is all new and Fielders mesh will be installed, and the closest trees taller than the building are 50 metres away.

Nothing in the tank as yet, until more rain comes along, though the first few times will be used to wash out the various lines.

Still many other elements of the refurb and new building to be done, so First Flush and other corrections that may be suggested will be looked at when it can be fitted in, if there's anything at all left in the budget bucket.

None of this would have happened without the considerable help, advice and patience of saveH2o. I've tried to understand the concepts, and hope we've come somewhere close to practical completion.

PHOTOS
above are linked from Photobucket
below are directly inserted from PC, using the new beta H1 feature

Hi Tezzab,

Many thanks for posting these photos - a boon to anyone who is short on understanding of all things technical - though, from your battle to find a plumber, it would sound like this applies to a number of plumbers as well! Keep posting.
Hi Liliana,
Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to lots of rain so I can check all joints and make use of the setup.
Hi Tezzab.

Shame about missing out on harvesting all that rain.

I don't know why a plumber would have to read up on the system when you had supplied all the correct size pipes and fittings. It should have just been a simple matter to connect the fittings, something anyone could do because the Supadiverta plumbing is not part of the stormwater system due to the overflow being at the downpipe.

Unfortunately, the plumber fitted the Supadivertas to the wrong side of at least one downpipe, it would have been easier and neater if it/they was/were on the other side. The vertical drops would also have best come down lower with 45 degree elbows directed towards the tees' branches also at 45 degrees and I don't understand why a plumber wouldn't do this. Nevertheless, the flow has not being compromised and once the ground has been levelled, underground aesthetics won't count.

The rise before the sediment trap isn't recommended because it will generate turbulence but the trap will still be reasonably effective and deliver much cleaner water to the tank. When you flush the trap, remember to turn the valve at the tank off so that the vertical drops supply the head.

The Grundfos pump is an excellent choice and the filters will have a very easy life.
Hi SaveH2O,
thanks for your response and observations. I did give the plumber credit for swatting up on the diverters, as he was intrigued by the theory after initially being sceptical, and probably as my explanation wasn't clear enough. Others who saw the setup were dismissive as it didn't conform.
The right angles on the vertical drops are unfortunate, as I'd done a mock up just as you'd described. Maybe a future retrofit along with the bump ahead of the sediment trap once the other tasks are complete.

I do hope the pump outlives me, and hope for extended filter life.

I'm glad that this 3rd call on your assistance is now at " virtual completion " save for enough H2O.
Related
23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

9/11/2023
Rainwater tank - screaming sound

General Discussion

Grate, thank you! RexChan if thats the reason i could sleep well without thinking about additional cost. But 1st i'll need to read about NRV cleaning/replaing stuff. I…

15/01/2024
Slim line water tank and strange pipes

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you for the generous offer. I need to get the plumber out to give me an explanation. As mentioned I haven't seen any rain water discharge from pipes 1& 3. It…

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum