Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home-theatre layout / fitout

Page 1 of 1
My home theatre is planned to be 3.455m x 4.3m as shown below. I'm planning to change the cavity door shown to an inward-opening door.

I'm interested in opinions and recommendations on screen size and placement for this room.

The three options are:

1. On the short wall opposite the windows
2. On the wall adjacent to the door
3. On the longer wall (which is also the perimeter wall of the house)

Ceilings will be 2.7m.

I'm thinking of a fixed screen. I'm leaning towards option 3 (on the longer wall). That would allow seating for 3-4 on the opposite wall. What size screen should I go for?

What do you think of this approach?

At this stage for eventual fitout I'm thinking of:
1. Wall to which screen will be afixed being painted in a dark feature-wall colour
2. LED lights (up to 4) mounted in the walls just above the floor
3. Media centre under the screen
4. 1 and possibly 2 x Quad powerpoints behind the media centre
5. Wired ethernet socket behind the media centre
6. Pay-tv point behind the media centre
7. Ducting for projector / speaker cabling
8. Single powerpoint mounted in the ceiling for a projector
9. 300 mm roof bulkhead around perimeter of roof
10. Air con vents in face of roof bulkhead

Comments / suggestions?
Think about ceiling colour as you will have light bleed from the screen. download a screen layout calculator to assess screen size etc. Acoustics wise your room dimensions look ok (based on an online calculator).

If you have fixed screen on the longer wall you will only have around 3m, possibly less from the screen. I would use the length of the room.

Look on AVS forum on home builds for ideas.

Good luck
Mark
Agree with Mark, you need the TV on a short wall so you're not too close. Are you able to put in a high window so you could use that end of the room for seating?

We have a 60" screen on the shorter wall (4.12m), the long wall is similar to yours at 4.39 and you wouldn't want to be any closer.

If you end up with your equipment on the wall near the door you may want to rethink the door change. There are some lovely sliding doors available that would look better than a CSD and not interfere with your room space.

The wall behind our TV is painted green and the rest of the room is the same as the rest of the house. We are an older couple and this is OK for us but have seen some great paint jobs on the net.

As for the techo stuff ask someone younger but I will say that we have 2 quads and a double and use them all. We just counted up what was going in there and that was what we needed.
Hmmm - I was thinking putting that screen on the shorter wall is what was going to be recommended.

My block is fairly narrow so unfortunately I can't make the room any wider.

I guess I could have the bottom of the windows sitting say 650mm to 800mm off the floor. I'm still at very early stages ( pre-start has barely commenced ), so I have the opportunity to change the design of the facade. The room is on the lower level of a double-story design.
Maximus - purely my opinion. Predicated that you are able to swap those windows for a high window (say 3000mm wide and about 600mm high - starting about 200mm off the ceiling), then I would recommend the short wall opposite the windows. You will be able to easily block out the windows to allow you to have it as dark as possible. This will also give you as much seating distance available to you

Regarding fitout;

* TV Points - you will want 2 (one for FTA, one for payTV)
* Power - at least 8 points. This will allow for a media centre/gaming console/s/amplifiers/TV/BluRay/etc
* Ethernet - Run a minimum of 2 - 4 if your able to (Media centre/TV/Console/spare)
* Ducting - personally im not a fan of them. HDMI cable heads JUST fit through a 20mm conduit (also depends on the brand of the cable). I wish I had run 2 cables incase of an issue down the line

Again - this is all dependant on changing that window
Thanks for the tips! This is useful info as I'm meeting with the electrician later in the week to discuss my requirements.

I am thinking of changing the front windows so the sills are 800mm off the floor. I don't think it will look as good from the street but one has to get their priorities right
Adding to what Jmap said you may want to check out a window that allows you to place speakers on either side and they should be a certain distance apart. You may also wish to check the starting height of the window if it is the back of the house so as not to limit options.

I have specifically made the windows at my theater high enough to be able to use the wall on the other side in my alfresco. It will be a counter top with fridge/ freezer below. This will also allow chairs not to interfere with the window in the cinema.

For the door I would just go with a slightly wider solid door as this will be better acoustically than a slider. I will try and draw something up and see how I go. I am not sure what state you are in so I will use the specs for WA for required window sizes

Ciao
Mark
I'm in NSW.

As it is a smallish room, I am thinking of going with an audio system in which speakers are placed in the walls and ceiling. That's to avoid the speakers taking up too much space in the room. So much to think about!
Here you go..... this is what I think

and in 3d

I recon the window could be 10 courses high and about 1800 wide, that should be big enough for that room. The window at that size would allow it to be elevated around 1,500ish off the ground. The chairs are standard size theater chairs and you can prob get 4.

Not very professional.... but i tried.

Hope it helped.
Mark
great 3d set up aussie mark gives me an idea for our theatre set up too.
Yep I just cut down my set up to the dimensions that were provided by the OP. I have actually modelled my whole house in the same manner to ensure all furniture will fit and the same feel is throughout. I found it very helpful to fine tune layout.
Looks great!

What are the rules of thumb for speaker placement in a basic setup?
To be honest I cannot recall but I did look them up when I came up with my plan. I think you sould google 7.1 set up and see as you may wish to put the sides in teh roof and the rears either side of the window.
Related
18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

29/05/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

This thread is over 6 months old. I'd say the OP has long since decided on their layout.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum