Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

3D Plasma / LED / LCD / Projector - Is it for you

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

Recently there has been a lot of talk about 3D projectors and the benefits (and downfalls) of them.

Now firstly let me say, I love 3D! The day the first plasma's came out for me it was a must have item and I freely raced out (after checking with the minister for finance) to go and get one anywhere I could at any price.

I bought extra glasses and a 3D blu-ray player and a handful of movies which I proceeded to watch and be astounded by!

I love 3D... I thought!

Having to charge the glasses .... grrrr

Having to change the TV to 3D mode .... grrrr

Playing PS3 games in 3D ...

Having to buy more glasses for more freinds .... grrrr

Now the reality is that after the novelty wore off I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have used the 3D feature of my must have PlasmaTV.

Having experienced the JVC DLA-X3 in 3D I have to say it reinvigorated my 3D interest but I thought I would pose these questions.

1/ Are you a 3D tragic?

2/ Did you race to upgrade or are you holding off for the "next generation" of technology?

3/ Would you be more likely to buy a 3D projector if it was without glasses?

For me the next upgrade will definately be to a 3D technology with no glasses ...
We have a 3D tv because my hubby needed one.

We have only watched a handful of 3D movies together on it and now own 6 glasses. Recharging them is annoying. I'd rather just watch a movie in 2D but my hubby is a 3D tragic! Loves his 3D PS3 games too.

Personally, I'd prefer to wait until the glasses free technology improves before buying another 3D tv or projector.
I love the idea of 3D projectors and TV's because it means the non-3D versions will become cheaper.

The last couple of films I saw at the cinema were 3D - they were Sanctum and Final destination 4 (yeah I don't make it to the cinema very often) both of which I didn't think benefited from the 3D at all. I'd rather not have the annoying glasses on and I find the picture difficult to concentrate on - it seems obstructed and I find I can't take in the overall screen as easily. To me it adds maybe 10% to the experience with too many negative points.
I went and saw Tron in 3D and I recently saw the new Transformers movie not in 3D.

Transformers (the original) is well entrenched in my personal Top5 movies of all time and even though I had the option to be blown away by seeing the latest addition in 3D I was just as happy to see it in its standard 2D format.

Maybe 3D really has lost it shine??
I'm far from a tech head, but I think 3D is a fad that will pass.... an expensive fad that will pass. The few times I've ever watched anything in 3D it annoyed the crap out of me more than anything to be honest. As for charging glasses and having to have x amount of glasses for possible visitors etc, etc.... for me, that's when the technology crosses a line and starts to demand of the consumer. For me, technology should enhance my life, make things easier... once the technology starts to demand of me, I can't be bothered with it if that makes sense.

I might be old school and boring, but I'm quite happy just to turn on a switch and sit down to watch something without having to worry about associated paraphernalia.
I think its great on games, maybe its because you concentrate more on games and you're there for the gimmick
. But some movies are just annoying with glasses. Like I didn't think Thor had to be in 3D, it was cool for the light bridge scenes but outside that it was a bit meh.

I still haven't got my 3D tv yet, I wanted one badly last year but have since then figured I'd wait. The up shot is that the 3D TVs have generally better picture in 2D than the older TVs anyway, so its no longer the key selling point. TV companies seem to be pushing Smart TV more this year.
Good call guys!

Smart TV seems to have taken the "Technology" mantel this year so far
i have just bought the top line 64inch samsung smart tv.it comes with 3d and to date havent watched anything in 3d.though tonight i will be playing killzone 3 3d
I am not a fan at all of 3D. I find you lose your periphial vision and can only concentrate on what you are directly starting at.

The glasses give me a headache after a while - and I rarely get headaches otherwise.

If a projector comesout at a reasonable price that does not need glasses, then sure, I'll consider it. Until then, give me quality 2d any day of the week.
^^^ Exactly the same problem I have with it. I just don't find it comfortable to watch.
I didn't actually buy my TV for the 3D capability, it just had the best picture, in fact i saw the '3D Ready' on my Samsung when i bought it and figure it needed some kind of add-on (you know like when they say 'Bluray ready' and such...) so i just about threw the glasses out with the box.

I got over it pretty quickly, i still watch the odd documentary with it on because that really does seem to add to it then but when it comes to movies i can't really be bothered with it, i get engrossed in the story and don't even notice the 3D effect.

It was a bit of a gimmick to play COD in 3D on the XBox and WipeOut HD 3D on the PS3...cool at first but it doesn't really seem to add that much to the experience, in fact i find it takes away from it a bit as it make me feel like i've got 'tunnel vision' for some reason.
Samsung recently produced 3d tvs with prices driven down in this field . But some of the cheaper models come without glasses, you get the glasess price up to almost 1/3. If you are a family of 4 people than you will buy nearly a television with four glasses. And you don't have a chance to use another brand with these models.
I have never been able to experience any kind of 3d. LOL! I have bad eyes. I see more out of one eye than the other, so the glasses at the movies never ever worked. If the tv's use the same thing for them to work then for me the decision is easy. I'll keep my money in my pocket!
3D completes the home cinema experience, surround sound, huge screen, 3D glasses and popcorn! The technology is "demanding" as others have said but its so worth the trouble.

We have a 720p 3D projector and honestly it never gets old (only interested in watching movies 3d). The main problem at the moment is the lack of 3D content available. For what's available, Resident Evil Afterlife if by far the best 3D movie I have watched.

Our projector is DLP-LINK (http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-innova ... -link.aspx) so there isn't the problem of propriety glasses/emitters that TVs have. I don't mind wearing the glasses, kinda adds to the excitement.

All up the cost of projector and glasses was a fair bit less than a standard 1080p 2D projector (and heaps less than a big 3DTV) so it is really can be good value for money. (keep the viewing distance from the screen right, don't make the screen ridiculously huge and 720p is just fine!!)

I think 3D is definitely here to stay. 3D without glasses is problematic based upon how the technology works so should be interesting to see how that develops in the next couple of years.
Sierra
The main problem at the moment is the lack of 3D content available. For what's available, Resident Evil Afterlife if by far the best 3D movie I have watched.

I bought this on Blu-Ray 2D and watched it over the weekend. Regardless of how good the film is it would have to be the most impressive disc in terms of sound and picture I'm yet to see. If anyone wants to see what Blu-Ray can do then watch this film (unless you are sqeamish).
A 3d fan. Definitely. Waiting for ps4 + 3d projector + motion sensor. I think gaming experience will be significantly improved than ps3 + led tv
wouldn't be spamming would we!!!
delatite13
wouldn't be spamming would we!!!

Wouldn't be trolling would we?

I hate 3D personally. As a concept it had a lot of promise but in practice it has been a big disappointment. The cinema versions tend to give me a headache, the home versions underwhelm. All versions seem to lose both brightness and contrast, and film makers use it without adding value. Thor for example was a waste of the technology.

Some films have been worth it though. Avatar benefitted from 3D but these are the exceptions.

HD
This was July 29th

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/br ... 6687631987

Foxtel ditches 3D due to lack of interest
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print

THE section of 3D movies at the DVD store could soon go the way of Betamax, with Australian audiences showing a distinct lack of interest in the technology.

The low rate of take-up has already prompted international content producers to axe their 3D output and now Foxtel has followed suit locally.

In a statement on Monday, the pay-TV provider said the channel would be removed from the on-screen and online TV guides on August 27.

"In light of the recent moves by the BBC and ESPN and other 3D content producers around the world, as well as the lack of interest by Australian audiences of 3D television, it is no longer viable for Foxtel to maintain a dedicated 3D channel," a Foxtel spokesperson said in the statement.

Foxtel says it will continue to show 3D movies on its On Demand service from time to time.
Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum