Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Don't scream but I want to mount an LCD above gas fire

Page 1 of 1
Would love some thoughts please, comments, experiences etc...

I suppose I would like to know if it is a guaranteed disaster, what the minimum distance between top of firelace to bottom of LCD should be or even if plasma is more suitable.

Many thanks !

Elizabeth
I wouldnt think its a wise idea. Heat is the number one enemy of plastics and electronics. But i dont have any specific knowledge of the subject so im happy to be proved wrong
Hi I am interested in this too

As by the time you put couches in a lounge there isnt many walls left to put a fire and a plasma.
The other option I am thinking is to have an angle wall in a corner for the plasma then the fire place to the side.
I did hear once that you shouldnt do it because of the heat and I dont know the problems mounting the plasma as the fire flu would be behind there somewhere

Then I heard that if you have a mantlepiece over the fire that would stop the heat on the plasma, but I dont know how much heat would go up behind it through the flu.
Its all soooo confusing
We thought about this too. The heat that comes off our fire isn't huge and it is well contained in the recess, the stainless steel frame above the fire doesn't even get hot. I have seen them done but the negative thing that we thought was that it could put you off trying to look at the tele when the fire was going
which do you watch...tele....fire...up...down....up....down
We had our plasma mounted above our gas heater for the past 4 years, didn't seem to affect it. The heater did have a fan and there was a mantle above the heater. Was the only usable wall we had so had no other option. However the house was solid double brick. Just put the heater on and workout how hot it gets above it, work out where its not too hot and put it there. Our plasma had to sit quite high up on the wall because of the height of the mantle.
We did an installation like this in one of our display homes a while ago and to date, have had no problems.

It was recommended to us to have a sill so the radiant heat from the fire would be blocked by the sill.
As the fireplace and that section of the wall was boxed out and framed, we put plenty of insulation inside to protect the electrical components within the wall.

If you speak to a fireplace shop they'll be able to help you with what needs to be done. We used Jetmaster and the guys there were extremely helpful, on their website there are also pics of what they have done so in that sense.

Below is a link for the home we have done it in - scroll through the pictures and you'll see a side on view of what it came up like:
edited by moderator
If there's some place other than above the gas heater to mount my plasma TV, I would mount it there
I wouldn't feel too comfortable seeing the LCD hanging above the heater. But that's just me
Isn't there another place that sounds more likely to you than above the gas fire? It sound quite dangerous to me actually and you should be 100 percent sure of not destroying or bombing your complete home when you install your LCD above the gas fire - that was actually my first thought when I did read the headline. It really sounds horribly dangerous.
People, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mounting a TV above a gas fireplace (ie. 'gas log' fireplace or fake log fireplace). I myself had one of these fireplaces and I can tell you that not only was the small mantle directly above it always cold to the touch but so too was the metal shroud around the fireplace itself. There will be no heat from the fireplace affecting the TV (the TV's own generated heat will be more significant, which is still no problem).
Search results...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6764
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10299
Related
14/06/2023
What anchor/screw to use to mount to villaboard>airgap>brick

Bathrooms and Laundry

If what you describe is correct then the brick wall has been dry lined with villa board. That basically means that the villa board is glued to the brick wall with…

7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

2/08/2023
Fire seperation qall

General Discussion

Need some advice. Living in a townhouse with one common wall, recently we have discovered that the fire separation wall is incomplete and on further investigation, support…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum