Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

New HT layout and projector + IMG

Page 1 of 1
Building a new home and hope it is done before XMAS. The first thing I will be doing is creating a HT. I have a decent amount of knowledge in this but the area I lack in is projectors. The below image is the room layout (about 3.8m x 3.3m):

I think I will have to have the couch on the right-most wall as you walk in, and the screen on the left wall as you walk in. Are there any other options?

The main two questions are the orientation as mentioned and also projector/screen specs as I know little about these (lumens, throw, etc etc). I need an appropriate projector for the projection distance and screen/room size. Obviously my screen size can not be too big as it will be hard to see from the short distance I will be sitting.

Thankyou in anticipation of opinions/facts.
Orienting the room that way is probably about the only way you can do it, which means you can't even use the rooms longer axis...

You will also need to go with an LCD projector as a DLP will not be able to fill any decent sized screen from that short a range (and the screen won't be that big either - max 96" I'd say (if that big)... and even then it may be too big for what is just over a 3m viewing distance...
not the best room for a 'HT'...).
Hi Kimberly!

Gotta agree with Rod on this one

I think a 50 or 55" plasma would be a better investment in a room of this size.

A few dollars saved on the proj and screen would be well spent on a good sound system.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

Already got a big Bravia XBR and decent sound. Really wanted a projector setup. Unless it is a complete waste then I would still like to do it.

Thanks for the info. So I need:
- HD LCD projector (What other specs? Throw, Lumens, Size?)
- Screen MAX 96", but I agree smaller like 70" would more suit the small room.

Where would I mount the projector? Directly above the long couch (as far from screen as possible?) on the right wall?

Any more tips/opinions guys?
kimberley
- HD LCD projector (What other specs? Throw, Lumens, Size?)

The only spec here that may be a factor in selecting a projector is the Throw, but much more importantly is how good the picture looks and how much it costs - once you have selected the projector based more in those two things (I'm sure others can add some important criteria here...) then you need to have a look at it's Throw specs and see what range of screen size it can accommodate in your room.

kimberley
- Screen MAX 96", but I agree smaller like 70" would more suit the small room.

Well, I might have said go as small as an 84" or somewhere in that vicinity, but I think 70" is too small for the trouble...
Related
18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

29/05/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

This thread is over 6 months old. I'd say the OP has long since decided on their layout.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum