Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Holes in bricks when building

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
We have brickwork walkthrough with the supervisor next week but wanted your thoughts on if using bricks with large bits missing is normal. We are building double brick so these won't go straight outside or anything, i was wondering if there is a risk of moisture getting trapped? There are about 15 bricks with these large corner parts missing. And we are having plasterboard added for the internal walls.

Thanks for your help!
Plasterboard on top of the bricks with holes is a number one remedy for mould and moisture issues, pretty much guaranteed.

Wet plaster on top of cement covering holes would have probably resolved the problem, although I would still prefer internal walls to be perfect.

Also, with plasterboards, you should welcome mice and various insects building their nests between your brick and plasterboards.
Just get the builders to patch it with some mortar.
Realistically you aren't going to have any moisture issues. If you have water getting onto the inside leaf of bricks you have big problems so you are ok from that point, but it won't hurt to just patch them first.
chippy
Realistically you aren't going to have any moisture issues. If you have water getting onto the inside leaf of bricks you have big problems so you are ok from that point, but it won't hurt to just patch them first.

Thanks chippy. It's highly likely they will do this before we walkthrough and it was probably a silly question! Good to know mortar will be fine and moisture won't be an issue
chippy

From practice, water is highly likely to get inside through the mortar "bridges" left behind the outer leaf or in front the inner leaf and over the ties.

But patching with cement might work unless there are some other issues. I would still recommend wet plastering over instead of plasterboard.
alexp79
chippy

From practice, water is highly likely to get inside through the mortar "bridges" left behind the outer leaf or in front the inner leaf and over the ties.

But patching with cement might work unless there are some other issues. I would still recommend wet plastering over instead of plasterboard.

Unfortunately the plasterboard "upgrade" was a promo package and pre start contract has been signed. I'll have to see what the site sup says but I'm not sure if we have wiggle room there.
alexp79
chippy

So in practice all double brick houses should have huge moisture problems if water is routinely bridging to the internal leaf.
martik0
chippy

Thanks chippy. It's highly likely they will do this before we walkthrough and it was probably a silly question! Good to know mortar will be fine and moisture won't be an issue

Your all good šŸ‘Œ
chippy
alexp79
chippy

So in practice all double brick houses should have huge moisture problems if water is routinely bridging to the internal leaf.

Only if there are openings in the inner leaf. Otherwise, as there is no wind pressure inside, the water just slides down the wall and ends up in a flashing or evaporates.

Same stuff applies to brick veneer houses too - the water often gets into frames and insulation if there is no wrapping or wrapping punctured.
Mortar and clay bricks are extremely porous, water doesn't just run down it, it soaks it up.
If water is routinely bridging the cavity the inner leaf will get soaked.
Have you ever seen the other side of a brick wall of a shower recess where the waterproofing has failed. Even it's a pin hole the bricks just soak up the water and the hard plaster starts flaking off.
If you routinely have water bridging the cavity the same thing will start happening to your internal plaster.
The OP doesn't need to fill the holes to prevent moisture otherwise they are going to have a problem anyway.
Your comment about preventing vermin is more relevant (although if that was really an issue they can get in from the top) but I don't imagine even that being an issue.
chippy
Mortar and clay bricks are extremely porous, water doesn't just run down it, it soaks it up.
If water is routinely bridging the cavity the inner leaf will get soaked.
Have you ever seen the other side of a brick wall of a shower recess where the waterproofing has failed. Even it's a pin hole the bricks just soak up the water and the hard plaster starts flaking off.
If you routinely have water bridging the cavity the same thing will start happening to your internal plaster.
The OP doesn't need to fill the holes to prevent moisture otherwise they are going to have a problem anyway.
Your comment about preventing vermin is more relevant (although if that was really an issue they can get in from the top) but I don't imagine even that being an issue.

Yes, bricks will be absorbing up to 15% of its weight, but this will certainly depend on the volume of water.

Once water is adsorbed, if the quantities are not huge, it will be released/dried out later.

Depending on the number of mortar bridges, double brick is never a panacea unless they have a layer of rigid of insulation between the layers. The perfectly clad wall certainly won't have any issues by design, however, the problem is that design and implementation are generally two different things.

https://www.building.co.uk/focus/building-pathology-water-ingress/3152011.article
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

1/12/2023
Mortar holes/gaps in a 10yo townhouse - are these bad?

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place - Iā€™m new to the property/building journey (trying to buy my first home) so not sure where/who to go with these sorts of…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum