Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Front door and pillars

Page 1 of 1
Roof and gutters are Monument, Fascias, window frames garage are Surfmist. House will be bricks, colour shown in the photo.
There will be two pillars at the front, brick on the bottom and wood on the top.
Firstly we can't decide if we should paint the front door and tops of the pillars or go with stained wood.
Secondly, do you think the front door on the plan looks ok, or should we go for vertical glass in the door to match the vertical windows?
I'm leaning towards dark painted door and pillars to match the roof and horizontal glass like the plan.
Hubby is thinking stained timber and vertical glass.
We need some fresh eyes! TIA

Ooh, I have an opinion!
But I are a engineer, so you may wish to discard any style-related comments I might make.

I always think (and this is just my opinion) that painted wood front doors look cheap. So really think stained is the way to go with the door.
However, I don't think the pillars necessarily HAVE to match the door. Because there are only two of them, I do think they need to match something, but I think it needs to be something that has a similar finish/surface - so I think rather than tiles, they need to patch the gutters or the window frames (assuming window frames are powder coated).

One thing to remember though; stain needs maintenance sooner than paint, if you're there for 5 years & sell you'll probably want to be re-applying the stain before moving out, but with paint it should easily last that time without deterioration.

In terms of glass orientation in the door itself … I dunno, I'm visualising both & I think they both look good. I couldn't argue with gusto in either direction.
Thanks for your reply Forg.
I did go driving slowly down streets creepily checking out everyone's front doors yesterday!! Stained does look good and I guess painting one door in 5 years time won't be too much of an issue.
I saw doors with glass both ways yesterday and I think I am set on the horizontal glass.
Related
31/01/2024
Front door issues

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

AS2047 Section 6 Page 31 speaks to Construction/Tolerances of Windows and external glazed doors in buildings Check also New South Wales Guide to Standards and Tolerances,…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

6/08/2023
Sydney Window and Door Providers

Windows & Doors

I have been looking into getting quotes for a reno I am doing shortly. I have been looking at Trend and Wideline for both windows and doors. I did enquire with Vista but…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum