Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Aveling Build - Rosehill Waters

Page 1 of 13
Hi Everyone!

So now we've signed our pre-construction contracts and are about to settle on the land I thought I'd start my own build thread.

We are building at Rosehill Waters in South Guildford with Aveling, it is stage one with the titles being released last week - so we should be some of the first people in!

There are quite a lot of restrictions on this site to do with noise (as we are close to the airport) and environmental sustainability, so lots of hurdles and back and forth so far. Feels like it's taken an age to get to this point, but really it's been pretty quick.

We have amended their Forrest plan, it looks pretty different! Our block is 555sqm as we wanted a decent sized garden and will be putting in a pool.

So far our upgrades have come to $45k and we are not finished yet. Some of the changes have been structural, we've gone for full height tiling in both bathroom and ensuite and various other changes that add up quick. I'm sure pre-start is going to add some more, especially electrical and smart wiring!

Working our way through pre-start choices now, the decision over house colours is driving us a bit nuts!

Our timeline:
O&A on Land: 16 Sept 2017
Signed PCC: 25 October 2017
Land Titled: 26 October 2017
Land Settled: 16 November 2017
Contracts Issued: 17 November 2017
Contracts Returned: 20 November 2017
Pre-Start: 29 November 2017
Unconditional Finance Approval: 15 December 2017
Council Approval: 20 December 2017
Final Contracts issued: 17 January 2018
Final Contracts returned: 18 January 2018
Building Permit Approved: 25 January 2018
Scheduling: 29 January 2018
Earthworks: 8 February 2018
Footings: 9 February 2018
SLAB: 10 February 2018
Brickwork: 27 February 2018
Brickwork Complete: 21 March 2018
Roof Timber Delivered: 21 March 2018
Roof Carpenter Started: 21 March 2018
Roof Carpenter Finished: 29 March 2018
Electrical and Plumbing: 3 April 2018
Roof Covering: 5th - 9th April 2018
Intelligent Homes: 9th April 2018
Internal Render: 23 April 2018
External Render 27 April 2018
Windows: 30 April 2018
White Set Plaster 3 May 2018
Doors (Lock Up)11 May 2018
Cabinets & Sinks 14 May 2018
Painting (doors & render) 17 May 2018
Screeding 17 May 2018
Waterproofing 21 May 2018
Tile meeting 24 May 2018
Tiling Commenced 28 May 2018
Garage Grano 31 May 2018
Plumbing 7 June 2018
Electrics 8 June 2018
Toilet window moved 11 June 2018
Cleaned 12 June 2018
Shower Screens & Mirrors 20 June 2018
Driveway 25 June 2018
PCI 6 July 2018
Key Handover 18 July 2018
Painter 18 July 2018
Air Conditioning 23 July 2018
Skirting 23 July 2018
Flooring 24 July 2018
Window Treatments 27 July 2018
Wardrobes 27 July 2018
MOVE IN 29 July 2018
Pool 31 July 2018
Your plan looks awesome! Love that you’ve included a study, activity room and theatre. You will have heaps of space

Hilbert HGWA Build
viewtopic.php?t=89433
Looks great, I'd suggest if you haven't already and can stretch the budget, go for a 2nd sink in the ensuite, makes such a difference!
JS15
Looks great, I'd suggest if you haven't already and can stretch the budget, go for a 2nd sink in the ensuite, makes such a difference!

It did come with a second sink - we took that out as we'd rather have the extra benchspace
Nice plan! We will follow your post as we are also building with Aveling.
Love your plan!
Might be biased though, its actually quite similar to mine!

As for upgrades, we got the display spec (so lots of 'included' upgrades) and still managed to spend a heap on top of that!
Ooops!

Good luck with all your selections, so nerve wracking isn't it! Did you make a decision about the shaker doors??
spiffmiff
Love your plan!
Might be biased though, its actually quite similar to mine!

As for upgrades, we got the display spec (so lots of 'included' upgrades) and still managed to spend a heap on top of that!
Ooops!

Good luck with all your selections, so nerve wracking isn't it! Did you make a decision about the shaker doors??

I’ve sent off a list of ‘potential’ upgrades to our consultant and it includes the shaker doors so will see what that comes back with 🙈

Checked in on progress yesterday and they have done the site sampling and we are up to working drawings before they go to ‘estimating check’. No idea what most of that means but hopefully we can get a pre-start date soon!
We settled on the land today!

Now own 555sqm of sand

Our contracts and drawings are due tomorrow - lets hope we can get them signed and back by Monday!
nicolac34

Now own 555sqm of sand

Our contracts and drawings are due tomorrow - lets hope we can get them signed and back by Monday!

cjose
nicolac34

Now own 555sqm of sand

How is your build going cjose?
nicolac34
cjose
nicolac34

Now own 555sqm of sand

How is your build going cjose?

Settlement is end of this month.
We got our building contracts yesterday! 😃 Our rep at Aveling is fab, they were ready at 5pm on Friday - he wasn’t in the office - so he went on Saturday morning and picked them up and drove them over to our house by 8.30am as we were going tile shopping!

We also made a few choices, hopefully can get the photos to work...

This is the choice for the main bathroom & ensuite (larger tile on the wall)

Laundry - grey subway splash back

Kitchen (timber floor) have picked out the formwrap Laminex... but really need to know the cost of it first!
Love your selections they look great! Love the tones you’ve chosen they compliment each other so much.

Hilbert HGWA Build
viewtopic.php?t=89433
Contracts were returned this morning and we have pre-start confirmed for next Wednesday 29th - all seems to be moving pretty quick now! Had to move our Intelligent Homes consult forwards to this Thursday and need to get all those selections done ASAP!
This is our current electrical plan.... any words of wisdom from anyone who has amended theirs already? We know it's woefully inadequate, but so much so that we don't know where to start!

nicolac34
This is our current electrical plan.... any words of wisdom from anyone who has amended theirs already? We know it's woefully inadequate, but so much so that we don't know where to start!

Unable to read the details as resolution is low
Hey Nicolac,

My 2 cents worth;

For us electrical was one of the biggest pre-start costs, probably doubled the amount of power points but I think our situation wasn't helped by us wanting to mount TV's and on internal walls so had to allow for conduit for cables etc later on.

I'd suggest looking at your kitchen bench, whether you add pendants or just put another light above it to make it brighter when you're working

The initial plan had 2 downlights in main living/dining so increased that to 6
We made sure we had 2 power points in each room, and tried to sketch in where furniture would go - especially beds and bed side tables, floor lamps etc. Also 1 or 2 in hallways for vacuuming or to plug in those little lights to help kids find the toilet at night!
If you only go with 1 power point in a room, suggest you put it on an internal wall as you can easily add later on external walls that are double brick.
The better half requested starlights in bulkhead above vanity (something to do with putting on makeup!)

We knew what annoyed us in previous houses so made changes to suit - such as having the toilet light and the exhaust fan on separate switches!

I also added a power point in the 'front corner' of garage for vacuuming the car/powered garden tools and Christmas lights
JS15
Hey Nicolac,

My 2 cents worth;

For us electrical was one of the biggest pre-start costs, probably doubled the amount of power points but I think our situation wasn't helped by us wanting to mount TV's and on internal walls so had to allow for conduit for cables etc later on.

I'd suggest looking at your kitchen bench, whether you add pendants or just put another light above it to make it brighter when you're working

The initial plan had 2 downlights in main living/dining so increased that to 6
We made sure we had 2 power points in each room, and tried to sketch in where furniture would go - especially beds and bed side tables, floor lamps etc. Also 1 or 2 in hallways for vacuuming or to plug in those little lights to help kids find the toilet at night!
If you only go with 1 power point in a room, suggest you put it on an internal wall as you can easily add later on external walls that are double brick.
The better half requested starlights in bulkhead above vanity (something to do with putting on makeup!)

We knew what annoyed us in previous houses so made changes to suit - such as having the toilet light and the exhaust fan on separate switches!

I also added a power point in the 'front corner' of garage for vacuuming the car/powered garden tools and Christmas lights

Thanks for that. Would you mind sharing how much all those electrical changes cost you?

We would also be doing pretty similar, doubling the power points, adding in more LED's to the living areas (although hoping to move the LED's around as we want pendants in the bedrooms and we currently have 22 LED's to play with). We also want the whole house 'future proofed' so data points everywhere, foxtel points, wall mounted TV's in the master, living and Theatre rooms, outside lighting at the front and also more lighting at the back. We'd also like speakers outside and a decent system in the theatre room.
Looks like abt $4k we spent.....Lots of GPO's @ $56 each, and LED's @ $146. We also upgraded bathrooms to those IXL Tastic light/fan/heat combo units.

Also ran a conduit and blank wall box next to Shoppers entrance for alarm panel down the track, also put junction box in ceiling above kitchen bench so wiring is all in place for easy hookup of future pendants (Maybe do same in your Bedroom if not doing pendants with builder)

I think smart wiring was another $1000 but I couldn't stretch the budget too far. If you want to future proof you might want to look at Intelligent Homes, I know with our builder you had to have consult with them and then take the info to pre-start.

It looks like your living room TV will be on the external wall in that cutout which will make life easier to add things later, but for your theatre looks like TV will be on internal wall so will need some pre-planning by you of what you want in there.
My advice;

Plan out what TV and Devices are for what room ie Foxtel Box, media players etc, and if possible - what mounting bracket (so you can plan the points behind the TV to be spot on in relation to the bracket)

I drew a sketch of what I wanted to plug into the TV and thought about what cables are needed, which led me to how many conduits I wanted to run.

I ended up with a wall box at 300 and a wall box at 1250 where TV is mounted, with 2 x conduits running from the ceiling down to the floor via those wall boxes ( 1 x 25ml and 1 x 32ml)

My Setup;

TV Height (1250 off floor)
TV Aerial point and 1 x GPO + wall box and conduit for all other cables. (Try and make sure this wall box is on same side of TV that the hdmi ports are). If you go smart wiring chuck a data point here too so your smart TV is wired not wifi so should get better performance

Floor Height (300)
Quad Power Point, Data point/points + wall box with conduits (Planning on my Foxtel coming down from ceiling, then HDMI going up to TV for that plus HDMI's for things like games consoles/laptops). Setting up my router down here so can run data in there from the wall and then from router to Foxtel box and games console so have wired connection for better results

We wrote out our electrical into Must haves/Nice to haves and went from there, and then considered internal walls being a 'now or never' type thing!
One of our big things was installing 2 and 3 way switches. Our hallway lights all had seperate switches which meant we would have to walk down to the front door to turn the hallway ones off. Instead we put 3 way switches in so the same lights could be turned off from the front and back of the hallways.

Hilbert HGWA Build
viewtopic.php?t=89433
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum