Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Macdonald jones build

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

My wife and i are going to build a MJH (Milano) and we are at the early stages with intial quote with variations etc and are just trying to get this sorted as close to how we want it before agreeing to the quote.

What i would like to know is if anyone has got them to build their house and asked for no interior doors?

I have someone who works for Hume doors that can get them cheaper than MJH can provide by a long shot and on top of that my brother is a builder so can install on handover. I can understand external doors because it cant be done to lock up but i don't feel internal should be an issue.

I was told by the sales person that she wasn't sure if they could but should ask further down the track. I would prefer to know up front.

Thank in advance
Unless your going for something special, an internal Hume door is less than $100 each . How much did you see you are saving against your builders quote ?

I'm not sure if they include handles, hinges and jambs . These are more expensive than the doors themselves once fitted.
Painting, chippy fee, door handles, would be at $350 a door plus door cost.
snowy stockman
Unless your going for something special, an internal Hume door is less than $100 each . How much did you see you are saving against your builders quote ?

I'm not sure if they include handles, hinges and jambs . These are more expensive than the doors themselves once fitted.

Yes we are doing the glass doors internal for some of them and want to spec the standard internal doors a bit. These are $157 per door for the basic. MJH prob charge plus 30%. So I probably save about 60% per door. I would paint myself and my brother is the chippy so labor very little. One of the four door wooden sliders have been quoted at $4050. But if I buy retail it would only cost $2600 plus fitting.
I can see a good $2-3 k saving even with handles hinges etc. I just don't know if MJH will actually allow me to do it.
Just double check the door sizes as I have a feeling the MJH ones aren't a standard size so may be a pain to fit your own later on.
Ok thanks. Will look into it.
jetjono
Hi all

My wife and i are going to build a MJH (Milano) and we are at the early stages with intial quote with variations etc and are just trying to get this sorted as close to how we want it before agreeing to the quote.

What i would like to know is if anyone has got them to build their house and asked for no interior doors?

I have someone who works for Hume doors that can get them cheaper than MJH can provide by a long shot and on top of that my brother is a builder so can install on handover. I can understand external doors because it cant be done to lock up but i don't feel internal should be an issue.

I was told by the sales person that she wasn't sure if they could but should ask further down the track. I would prefer to know up front.

Thank in advance

Hi,

Yes we asked for one internal door to be left out. It was the door to the walk in robe from the main bedroom,Got a $90 credit back and it was no problem at all.

sarah
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum