Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Warralily Coast or Mt.Duneed Waffle Pod concerns

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I am hoping to hear from others in ths area about thier choice of slab.I am almost at contract with a volume builder and this is the thing i'm most cautious about.My land is virtually flat(i think 300mm fall) however has 400mm of fill and has been classified H2.Our builder is going with a waffle pod sitting on more than 50 piers.....even though waffle is obviously cost efficient for them i am trying to ascertain if Raft or Waffle would perform better (regardless of cost).There's certainly a lot of negative opinions from more indepentdent builders and press about waffle and slab heave etc.....So i am trying to determine how much is scaremongering (if any).
I am hoping that people more established in this area can chime in with thier experiences so far.Any regrets with waffle,additional costs having to do concrete apron around entire slab,drainage etc Vs Raft slab.
We are trying (like most) to build to a budget.I'm trying to work out whether to wait another year or more and risk building material price hikes etc or to go ahead placing all trust in the builder that the waffle slab will be engineered properly.
I am hearing a great deal of "Waffle's aren't suited to H2(highly reactice clay) soil on top of fill" talk.
I've been told our slab will be 88mm below ground and 420mm above.In our soil report it mentions that a Waffle Raft is proposed yet in the builder's contact it states Waffle pod?...The conclusion.....I'm confused

cheers,
Mark
P.S i know our neighbour on the next block have gone raft slab as their builder refuse to do waffle
How comprehensive was your bore holes,sampling,lab tests,geotech report?
Either way If I was you I would be talking to a local Engineer then builder.
As you can always choose one or the other footing types and add additional redundacy into the design if you are cautious.... but that's at a COST
Well as a builder if I were building my home on fill I would rather have 50 piers bored down to stable ground with a waffle on top than a raft slab with slightly deeper edge beams.
Movement comes from the top surface expanding and contracting from water. The deeper u go and find stable clay or rock the less chance you will have of slab movement. Waffles are only usually a problem without piers as they basically sit on the top layer.
Hope that helps.
BuildItRight homes
Well as a builder if I were building my home on fill I would rather have 50 piers bored down to stable ground with a waffle on top than a raft slab with slightly deeper edge beams.
Movement comes from the top surface expanding and contracting from water. The deeper u go and find stable clay or rock the less chance you will have of slab movement. Waffles are only usually a problem without piers as they basically sit on the top layer.
Hope that helps.

Yes unless you are talking about slab heave then piers that are not connected to the slab won't stop slab heave.
Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

14/08/2023
Concerns about strengh of Engineering Floor Joists

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for all replies. I just noticed now the pictures I added to post right on top of page were wrong. I attached pictures showing "current" and my "suggested" floor…

5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum