Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

HGWA First Home Build - Ocean Road Estate

Page 1 of 21
Building a modified version of the Torquay from HomeGroup WA in Ocean Road Estate!

Slab: 20th Oct
Soakwells installed: 24th Oct
Bricks delivered: 2nd Nov
Brickwork Started: 3rd Nov
Brickwork Complete: 16th Nov

I haven't kept up with my timeline haha but it is now the 16th and the roof is completed and they have almost finished the grey float!
Hi Jasmine,

Congrats and gorgeous design choice in the Torquay. I love that galley kitchen. In fact the whole thing looks so luxurious.

Sorry I will be no help on the HGWA front but just wanted to pop in and say I'll be following your journey, as I'm building just a few streets away in Eliza Ponds.
IvyC
Hi Jasmine,

Congrats and gorgeous design choice in the Torquay. I love that galley kitchen. In fact the whole thing looks so luxurious.

Sorry I will be no help on the HGWA front but just wanted to pop in and say I'll be following your journey, as I'm building just a few streets away in Eliza Ponds.

Hi IvyC

Thank you! Eliza Ponds is coming along so nicely! I am constantly driving through

Have you started your building process yet?

Our titles aren't released until March so we have a while to wait and get prepared!
Hi Jasmine
Congrats on buying in a great area!

I'm also building in Ocean Road Estate but our titles are due in the next month or so.
I looked at HGWA, but decided on a different builder. I have some costs somewhere i can potentially pull out and PM you with when I find them but probably not in the level of detail you're after. There are lots of HGWA threads on here. Seems they have been very busy.

Where have you bought? I'm in Yakas Chase.
Beazley77
Hi Jasmine
Congrats on buying in a great area!

I'm also building in Ocean Road Estate but our titles are due in the next month or so.
I looked at HGWA, but decided on a different builder. I have some costs somewhere i can potentially pull out and PM you with when I find them but probably not in the level of detail you're after. There are lots of HGWA threads on here. Seems they have been very busy.

Where have you bought? I'm in Yakas Chase.

Congrats to you too! Yes such a great spot being so close to the beach and Freo.

We are on Makarska Way.. So right around the corner from you!
Yes there are so many threads on here which is great, been slowly getting through them.

Who did you end up choosing to build with?
jasmineandjason
IvyC
Hi Jasmine,

Hi IvyC

Thank you! Eliza Ponds is coming along so nicely! I am constantly driving through

Have you started your building process yet?

Our titles aren't released until March so we have a while to wait and get prepared!

Hi Jasmine,

I drive through all the time too, probably to my detriment! I got excited when the tree on our verge had started flowering last weekend. It will be exciting when Terranovis gets onto the park that joins up to the EP park. Have they given any time estimates on when that part will get going?

We're just waiting for our building permit any day and then we'll be off and away (hopefully).

As first home builders we had no clue going into this but have quickly learned that waiting is the name of the game.
Terranovis advised me last week that the POS/parks final landscape plans are being prepared and sent to council for approval. they hope to start planting about October so the park is ready for when people move in.
yah!

I think its unfortunate that they aren't doing any nice street tree planting like Eliza Ponds. The landscape voucher for each Lot, includes that one tree is to be planted on the verge. So I wonder if that means there will be a mish mash of tree species as street trees, who is expected to water them ( assume it will have to be low owner reticulation), and what happens of people don't build within 18 months and therefore in theory aren't entitled to the landscaping voucher. Hopefully council will require the developer to put a tree in, in those circumstances to maintain the amenity in the estate.
Congrats Jasmine! Hate to burst your bubble, but the calacatta nuvo caesarstone is insanely expensive, more than natural marble, though it does look beautiful, you obviously have good taste!
Hi Jasmine and Jason,

Just subscribing to your build journey. Looking forward to seeing your dream home become a reality!

If at any point you need any assistance, please get in touch with me and I will do my best to put you in touch with the right person here at HGWA.

Kind Regards,
Dylan
trixee
Congrats Jasmine! Hate to burst your bubble, but the calacatta nuvo caesarstone is insanely expensive, more than natural marble, though it does look beautiful, you obviously have good taste!

Thanks Trixee:)

Awww really!! I thought it wouldn't be substantially more, considering it isn't real marble
damn! It's so amazing!

Hi Everyone,

Here is our most recent plan with HomegroupWA.. We have made a few changes to the original design - i.e. switching the location of the laundry and scullery around. Also not shown is a door from the garage to the back of the house, extension of the ensuite shower to a double and adding a door between the scullery and laundry..

Just wondering if anyone has any any overall feedback and opinions/ideas that we may have overlooked?
We went through this display home a fortnight ago - I like how you changed up the scullery. It was the one thing I said to hubby, it's a long way to walk with dirty dishes etc.

I guess the only thing I would change would be to consider doors onto the theatre room, but I guess it depends on how you plan to use that space. At the very least, putting in a door frame to add them later might be something to consider.

Oh and am I right - the entrance way/hallway is at 28 course but the kitchen/family/dining area is at 31 course ceiling? Without a soffit in place I don't know how they would do that. It's hard to read the height measurement on the plan ... but if I am reading it right, would be worth asking the question.

Good luck, it's a nice house plan.
The location of the alfreso means the two stackers will be fully shaded - where is north on your plan?

Personally, I am not a fan of spandrels - there is a funny roof detail happening at the top right of your plan - can you get rid of that somehow? (raising ceiling to rear of home to 31c?) cant quite make out the plans fully, but is this roof step necessary?

Slider in laundry just gives your washing machine a view- as has been suggested elsewhere on forum - a swing door can look a lot neater and gives you the option to extend benchtop across to full width.
Marcia
We went through this display home a fortnight ago - I like how you changed up the scullery. It was the one thing I said to hubby, it's a long way to walk with dirty dishes etc.

I guess the only thing I would change would be to consider doors onto the theatre room, but I guess it depends on how you plan to use that space. At the very least, putting in a door frame to add them later might be something to consider.

Oh and am I right - the entrance way/hallway is at 28 course but the kitchen/family/dining area is at 31 course ceiling? Without a soffit in place I don't know how they would do that. It's hard to read the height measurement on the plan ... but if I am reading it right, would be worth asking the question.

Good luck, it's a nice house plan.

Thank you! I think that's definitely a good point to put door frames to the theatre. We aren't really sure how it will be used yet but will more than likely want the option to close it off.

Yes the whole front of the house was 28c but we have upgraded to 31c. Wish the high ceilings came throughout and not just in the main living area!

I think I may have read your thread before, you are building with HGWA too?
jasmineandjason
I think I may have read your thread before, you are building with HGWA too?

Yep. But our build is no poster child for the company, I have high hopes yours will be better!!
Tristanium
The location of the alfreso means the two stackers will be fully shaded - where is north on your plan?

Personally, I am not a fan of spandrels - there is a funny roof detail happening at the top right of your plan - can you get rid of that somehow? (raising ceiling to rear of home to 31c?) cant quite make out the plans fully, but is this roof step necessary?

Slider in laundry just gives your washing machine a view- as has been suggested elsewhere on forum - a swing door can look a lot neater and gives you the option to extend benchtop across to full width.

North is at the back of the house.. We were hoping to get the midday and afternoon sun.

Not quite sure what to make of the spandrel... Will ask our consultant when we meet with him on Wednesday. Thanks for the tip about the laundry door - sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try scanning my plan to see if I can get a better quality image on here!
Hi Jasmine
I tried to submit something before but it didn't seem to work.

I agree re: laundry tip from Tristanium (I did it myself) and it also allows a solid wall to vent a wall hung dryer into if need be. And for you if its on the western side it will help remove some hot sun from the laundry where its not really needed.

Agree with comments on at least framing the theatre entrance for future doors and have you considered a door in the entrance to the kitchen/living area to enclose it to help with heating/cooling (and noise if no doors on theatre)?

To make bed 4 bigger you could push the wall out flush with bathroom wall?

If the intent is a family sized home, you could potentially remove the linen cupboard to make the bathroom a bigger family sized bathroom and turn the activity area into a Walk in Linen and perhaps a Walk In Robe to bed 2? Still leaves 3 big bedrooms for kids to spend time in.

Also if North is the rear, then are you going to get much midday sun in the living area for passive heating and cooling? Does this house currently already meet the 6 star energy rating for the orientation on your block or will you need to add extra to achieve that? I love the stacker doors, will they be 28c or 25c high? I was going to go with 28c stackers and sliders in my house as I have 31c throughout, but then decided I didn't like seeing the eaves from the inside from nearly the other side of room, or the windows being flush with eave on the outside elevation. Personal choices.

Also, perhaps you could widen and length the garage for SUVs or storage? It might eat into theatre and Master a little but you wouldn't lose much. 28c in here would be useful too. 25c might seem really low coming from inside in the house.

Fun times tweaking things?!
Beazley77
Hi Jasmine
I tried to submit something before but it didn't seem to work.

I agree re: laundry tip from Tristanium (I did it myself) and it also allows a solid wall to vent a wall hung dryer into if need be. And for you if its on the western side it will help remove some hot sun from the laundry where its not really needed.

Agree with comments on at least framing the theatre entrance for future doors and have you considered a door in the entrance to the kitchen/living area to enclose it to help with heating/cooling (and noise if no doors on theatre)?

To make bed 4 bigger you could push the wall out flush with bathroom wall?

If the intent is a family sized home, you could potentially remove the linen cupboard to make the bathroom a bigger family sized bathroom and turn the activity area into a Walk in Linen and perhaps a Walk In Robe to bed 2? Still leaves 3 big bedrooms for kids to spend time in.

Also if North is the rear, then are you going to get much midday sun in the living area for passive heating and cooling? Does this house currently already meet the 6 star energy rating for the orientation on your block or will you need to add extra to achieve that? I love the stacker doors, will they be 28c or 25c high? I was going to go with 28c stackers and sliders in my house as I have 31c throughout, but then decided I didn't like seeing the eaves from the inside from nearly the other side of room, or the windows being flush with eave on the outside elevation. Personal choices.

Also, perhaps you could widen and length the garage for SUVs or storage? It might eat into theatre and Master a little but you wouldn't lose much. 28c in here would be useful too. 25c might seem really low coming from inside in the house.

Fun times tweaking things?!

Hi

Yes definitely going to see about switching the laundry door. Did you simply put in a glass door?

Would love to push out bed 4 to the bathroom but we have absolutely maxed out our site coverage. We are considering all ideas to remove the activity and extend other areas as we aren't sure how practical the activity would be.. I like the idea of putting a walk in robe to bedroom 2 + adding in the walk-in linen. Definitely something to think about as we don't have much storage..

Unsure about our energy rating, will find that out when we meet with our sales rep this week. Our stacker doors are 28c! Would love to widen and lengthen the garage but wouldn't want to remove house space for it. We did increase the ceiling to 28c in there..

We are a little concerned our pantry isn't big enough... I guess that's because many new houses have walk in pantries!
Hi

Yes definitely going to see about switching the laundry door. Did you simply put in a glass door?

We are a little concerned our pantry isn't big enough... I guess that's because many new houses have walk in pantries![/quote]

Yep, just a single glass door referred to as a french door but 920mm wide.

As for your pantry, I think its fine! you have a scullery for extra space if you're worried. !I myself haven't got a scullery they aren't for me ( just like to get rid of dishes, not walk them somewhere else) and I think my pantry is fine.
jasmineandjason

Hi Everyone,

Here is our most recent plan with HomegroupWA.. We have made a few changes to the original design - i.e. switching the location of the laundry and scullery around. Also not shown is a door from the garage to the back of the house, extension of the ensuite shower to a double and adding a door between the scullery and laundry..

Just wondering if anyone has any any overall feedback and opinions/ideas that we may have overlooked?

Hi Jasmine

We too are building in Ocean Road (North). Love your plan, especially your living/ outdoor area link. Just a few suggestions, as the back is North, I would add a window in the back bedroom, facing north to get the heating benefits in winter (but it depends how close the window will be to the fence). I too would brick up the theatre room and if you need to save money, perhaps just get the builder to add the door frame and put doors in later (I did that with our current house). To make your bathroom appear bigger, perhaps get the vanity semi floating (or full floating if funds permit). Recessed sills to the alfresco stacker doors allows seamless flow. This is our 2nd build so we have been waiting to build our 'close to perfect' house. Some minor changes (that don't cost too much) can make a huge difference.
Related
18/01/2024
Terry road box hill

General Discussion

I brought terry road box hill in June 2022 House was meant to be completed Nov 2023 That did not happen I had to chase them so much to the land Registration and…

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum