Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who applies for which Permits?

Page 1 of 1
I am assuming there has been a thread on this before, but I can not find it for the life of me.

I would like to know the permits that are required to build a house (I am in Melbourne, Whitehorse Council), and to find out who generally applies for each of the permits - the owner or the builder?

Many thanks
I assume you are asking about building permit. Building permit is applied for by the owner or owner's agent (builder) on behalf of the owner. If the builder is also providing design then it is likely that the builder will apply on your behalf.
If you have separate designer from the builder then it is common for the designer to apply on owner's behalf. This is also true if you are applying for a planning permit.
Other permits are
Planning Permit Obtained by developer if buying a subdivision, by you if you are subdividing a block
Road opening Permit builder applies
Occupancy Permit Builder arranges.

Some more information here: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=4822
We had to apply for our own planning permit bc we needed a specific report written by a town planner regarding the bushfire reqs we had... Took around 4 months for a repsonse
Thank you so much for the advice, we seem to be having so many issues with permits a what not.

That website is extremely helpful
Planning permits. sometimes the owner, sometimes the builder, and sometimes a consultant. Most of my clients seem capable of doing this themselves.
Building permits. I think this is the builder's job. just a view.
Occupancy Permits. This is up to whoever it is that applies for the permit.

There are a lot of variations on a theme. Have to write a book about it!
ask me if you want to know more.
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

21/12/2023
Which chrome tapwares in Myhomeware northrocks Sydney

Bathrooms and Laundry

Which chrome tapwares is a good affordable brand with a good warranty in Myhomeware shop Sydney. I visited the shop and they…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum