Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Did your builder clean your recycled bricks?

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone out there used recycled bricks for their build? We have used them for our facade and the builder is refusing to clean them because he says the mortar stains are pre-existing. The stains are exactly the same colour as the mortar he has used so I don't understand how he can distinguish between pre-existing and fresh. Can we expect him to clean them?
Here is a photo of some of them:

The mortar stain here actually lines up so I find it hard to believe the bricklayer chose to lay bricks so that the pre-existing mortar stains would line up.
I agree with you, mortar stains really do line up. Is there anything in your contract that mentions cleaning of your bricks? Do you have any pics of the bricks before they were laid, showing no mortor stains?
Hi Onewheel,

There is nothing in the contract one way or another about the cleaning of the bricks. It was just stipulated that they be recycled bricks. We don't have any photos from before they were laid. My husband saw the ones visible on the pallet and they weren't covered in grey mortar. I've also rung the recycling yard and they have never encountered this problem with a builder before. There were about 1,000 bricks left over but the builder had them carted away when he couldn't persuade us to buy them off him.
I've had another look at the contract and it does say "Provide good appearance to brickwork as it will remain exposed."
Liliana
I've had another look at the contract and it does say "Provide good appearance to brickwork as it will remain exposed."

That's good, sounds like the builder should clean them. I would think to anyone it is clear they are currently "not of good appearance" with the mortar stains. Once that is cleaned up it will look lovely, adding lots of character to your home
Related
13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

22/04/2024
Best way to clean and fix the pavement

Landscape & Garden Design

I have stone pavement (?) in my backyard around the pool. I have not tended to them and so there is moss growing on them. I intend to clean them but was wondering what the…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum