Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Increased Ceiling Heights and windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I am bulding a VETRA 47 with Carisle Homes and will be increasing my ceiling heights as follows

2740 to ground floor (Standard was 2590)
2590 1st floor (Standard was 2440)

I have decided to upgrade all doors on ground level to 2340 but will be leaving doors on 1st level at 2040 as we prefer a gap in between the door architraves and cornice.

Our question is what happens with the Windows? Will they look strange if left as standard or will I need to make them taller. I dont really want to add more expense but I want to make sure I make the right decision?

Your help is appreciated
We increased our door and ceiling height but not windows and it seems fine
Stevcm

My suggestion is to add the extra to your sliding doors to make them 2400 then lift your down stairs windows to 2400 you can keep them the same size just lift the head height or get larger windows. Most people that don't change the heights regret it after. Just my suggestion.
Hi

I should also add that we increased our sliding doors and front entry doors to 2340 downstairs so it is more the windows

I am mainly concerned about front windows whcih are 2100x 600 downstairs and 1800x600 upstairs. Will they look ok?

Also will the theatre room window look ok. It is a slim window as you can see in the pics.

This is a link to the house we are building

http://www.carlislehomes.com.au/find-a- ... ery/search

I can add pics I have tonight if this helps

Regards
Stevecm
I'm building a double storey with exactly the same increase in ceiling heights to yours. I never thought of the height of windows. I don't think they matter as they're normally different in shape and sizes anyway.
we've increased our ceiling height to 2750 and have also increased our window heights.
I wouldn't think so, depends how small they are. I haven't done so in my place. I actually isn't normally thought about by most people building a new home. Good topic. You maybe need to try visualise each room as its hard to give an opinion without seeing the house plans.
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

26/10/2023
Queensland ceiling heights - help!

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

We bought a house in 2015 advertised as a 7/2/2, 4br up, 3br down (7br), and to date, it’s a great house. However, we’ve just had it valued and it’s come in as a…

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum