Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a new house - bathroom tiling question

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys;

Just after an opinion. We're building with Clarendon. We've asked for our bathroom to be tiled floor to ceiling. Clarendon have installed the vanities & then tiled around them - is this normal? Would love your advice. Should I ask them to re-do? Or are these the type of things they can do to save money?

Is this compliant?

regards
RjG
Thats normal, I have never known of a builder to tile behind a vanity so that,s all they would have priced for
rjg, I have one of each....the ensuite vanity has tiles behind it and the main bathroom vanity doesn't, it only has the splashback tiled!! Reason...well your guess is as good as mine as neither the builder or tiler could answer my question and were amazed I would ask!!

Yeah I know.....doesn't help much does it? Sorry, but I still don't know the answer either.
Haha - that's funny... The thing is that I guess this is where they cut corners and not many people know about it. I guess that why they try to lock us out
what surprises me is they dont even offer the option... my kitchen quote/plan says tile first, yet builder is still tiling around. i'd have been happy to pay extra, but the kitchen is in so too late now.
Mine tiled around, I'm not sure I'd see the value in tiles I can't see!
The value is down the track if you make a change to the kitchen and reduce the size of something then there are no tile. Same as behind a vanity, if there are no tiles and you reduce the size for some reason you'll have sections with no tiles
We set out the space for the vanity and cabinet and they tiled to cover the outer side using full tiles only.
Called my CSC and they pretty much said that this is what all builders do.. I pretty muhc said that I guess that's how they save money - she kinda agreed. They do it through-out the build.
Related
23/04/2024
Tiling a Balcony with Fall Away from House

General Discussion

AS4654.2-2012 External Membranes it is "Informative" but if you get water ingress your insurance assessor will go to this straight away and if not achieved, they will deny…

20/10/2023
Grout stains in new bathroom

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi everyone, Have just put a shower in the laundry and after only using it 2-3 times have noticed staining on the grout. The tiles were glued onto a concrete wall after…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum