Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Negotiating Price of Building New Home

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I am new to the building a new home game and was hoping that someone may be able to assist me with the following question.

I know I can negotiate what is included in the price of the home ie; specifications, but can I negotiate the actual total price of the home? and if so, should I ask for a certain percentage off?

Thanks for your help and this is an excellent site.

Cheers
There is no harm in trying. We didn't do well in this area. We got a small discount off an inclusion and there was a promo going for our aircon package but apart from than no discount from the actual house price.
Certainly helps to try... It will depend on the builder but we managed to get 11% off the total price.. We got a few quotes from different builders then used that as a basis to argue where you felt things could be better priced.

They still had to list everything as priced by them but they gave us a 'block' discount at the end and put the carpets through as a 'bonus'..

Good lcuk!
You can only ask. And at the worst they will say no. But you won't know until you ask.

We got a fair discount on ours from the private builder. But then they went bankrupt so we actually ended up with the house cheaper again. I don't however recommend this course of building LOL.
Also by securing a discount you have no idea what corners will be cut to achieve it. I would pay to get the job done to a good standard.
Has anyone tried negotiating with a Project home builder? I know their margins on the base price of the home are supposedly pretty thin, but I'm also thinking about whether there are things I can do myself that might reduce the base price if possible.

Probably mainly stuff after lockup such as painting and other things I can't think of right now
Related
18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

16/08/2023
QS fees for building a new home

General Discussion

Is it just a report written to give to the bank initially and it is based on what and how your payments are made up for, or is it a full service where they go out and…

8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum