Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Blue Mount Glenrowan - Trentham Vic

Page 1 of 1
Thought I might start a topic for our little project in Trentham. This is the second build for us, last time was in 2006.

The house is a modified 'Glenrowan' from Yarra Valley Homes, fairly simple 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom on a piece of land is 4500 m2.

The specifications are:

Cedar and Corrugated Iron Cladding
Colourbond roof
Baltic pine floors
Solar hot water
Solar PV electricity generation
32000l water tank
Lotsa insulation (r4 in roof, floor and walls including internals)
Secondary glazing (4mm tinted, 12mm air gap, 6mm acrylic)
Wood fired Stove and Heater
Electric under carpet heating
Fancy air transfer system..
10 x 6m Cedar Carport

The builder list price is $148K, or modifications make it $200K and with all connections and other extras the total budget is expected to be $250K

Plan as follows:

This is an early version, minor changes to kitchen, bathroom and other areas e since but the key dimensions are still right. We are lucky to have a very accommodating builder!

Key dates:
Land Purchase Oct 2009
Planning Permit June 2010
Base Stage July 2010
Frame Stage August 2010
Lockup - End Sept 2010 (expected)

Progress has been a bit slower than expected due to planning delays, bank finance delays and me being slow to make decision.
Note: I would add some pictures but it wont let me for some reason.

Hooray pictures:

All my base/stump shots were....err lost as I used the camera with no flash card!

These are the earliest shots from mid July with the frame going up..

bit more complete from this angle

The North side of the house

Kitchen, walk in pantry and part of the living area

Great skylight in the living room!
you have to convert images to html format....websites such as photobucket do this for you...and then it's as easy as copy and paste......

Trent-am as said by the locals....a very beautiful spot...lucky you have under floor heating
Not exactly under floor heating but under carpet! - hopefully a decent ebay purchase at $200 per room.
geez that sounds great....is it easy to install? or do you need to be a sparky?
More pictures, sure wish actual progress was this fast, these were taken a couple of weeks later when it had stopped raining for a moment.

Skylight covered by this:

handmick
geez that sounds great....is it easy to install? or do you need to be a sparky?

Way easy to install, fits above the carpet underlay but under the actual carpet. You can connect it yourself as they have plugs on but I am going to hard wire them into the electrics - so need a professional - will run about 750 to 1000 watts depending on room size.
Ok last lot for today, 2 months and 300mm of rain later we have almost a roof....

I love big verandahs...your build looks very interseting, I will enjoy following....Do you have plans you can post?
I grew up with under floor heating....it was great, not sure why it isn't more widely used....I will let my partner know..
Some internal ones to finish off

Spare bedroom (3.8m by 3.2)

Main bedroom (3.8 x 3.

main bedroom, WIR and ensuite

Half of the bathroom..

handmick
I love big verandahs...your build looks very interseting, I will enjoy following....Do you have plans you can post?
I grew up with under floor heating....it was great, not sure why it isn't more widely used....I will let my partner know..

There are plans, just none that are exactly right as this has been a bit of an organic build!. I will fiddle around with MS paint and post something soon.

House has a return verandah on 3 sides with a deck area north and west.

The heaters I have a speedeheat ones made in South Africa. We had very little option for heating as there is no gas. It is the wood heater, stove, under carpet and panels if needed.

View of the house from 2 blocks away
oh wow dagget, what can I say! Looks amazing - and Trentham - my fav haunt with the kids (down near the playground/lake etc) - we visit all the time, love the shops etc,,, we are hoping to get a sort of weekender down there in a year or two (or three), who knows, never too late, we just love it - congrats!!!
Love the house too mate!
Hi Annie

There have been some great bargains in Trentham over the last couple of years, could get a decent weatherboard house that needed renovation for around $220K but like everywhere else prices keep going up. Some great development around town as well plenty of people building and renovating as well.
Related
14/06/2023
What anchor/screw to use to mount to villaboard>airgap>brick

Bathrooms and Laundry

If what you describe is correct then the brick wall has been dry lined with villa board. That basically means that the villa board is glued to the brick wall with…

8/09/2023
H2 Blue Pine

Bugs & Suggestions

I’m just in the process of replacing 2 stud walls that have been severely damaged by termites and am planning to use h2 blue pine. I just wanted to if anyone can advise…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum