Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Sierra by Hotondo - ITS GONE!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Update1: Plans now on page 1

Update2: quote is in, but I'd like some advice please. middle/end page 1

OLD HOUSE IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNEEE!

I've been around here for a while picking the brains of some of you for info and it looks like we're close to getting started.

We have nearly got the plans signed off, just waiting for the last lot of changes to be drafted and the final $$ worked out.

We're going with a modified Sierra 283 by Hotondo on our existing block which has a 10sq 2.5 BR house on it at the minute. The existing house is brick veneer on a slab so its a little pricey to get rid of, but we've been planning on renovating/extending/rebuilding for 4yrs and this is the best option. It was the same $$ to extend another 10sq but we wouldn't have a garage or as much space with the new place and we'd have to maintain the old fittings. Another thing was We'd be stuck with 8ft ceilings. Handy to change a light bulb as I'm 6ft2, but I'd like 8.5 or 9ft ceilings.

I'll post the original Sierra plans to start with as I don't have our final ones yet., but basically the only things I have to get done now are excavation and demolition quotes. We got some round about figures before we started with the builder so I know the most I'll be up for.

I'll keep you posted, thank for reading.
Chris

Great plan, lots of space in that WIR and like the extension on the garage for extra storage. GL with it all!
Thanks mummamichelle,

The end of the garage is actually longer than that. I think that side is 9mt deep and we had to remove the family room window.

We're also building a 9m x 5m shed in the rear yard to store all of our furniture so we won't be short of storage space. Storage is non existent in our current house so we kind of went overboard with it.

Kitchen is longer also (island is going to be 4.75m long, LOL) and the living room at the front was going to be an office, but my wife has decided to sell her business and work part time to be with our daughter more
good luck with your build.
very exciting!!
Hi there, very interested to see your changes to the plan as we are building the Sierra 245 but have modified it quite a bit.
Good luck with your build!
here are the floorplans
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/cgem21/upload1.jpg
Very nice plan ChrisandKate. A few unusual things that work well.
So I got our final quote the other day, but I'd like to know what some people think of some of the upgrade prices.

We've been quoted for the following
9 feet (2700mm) ceiling instead of 8 feet (2400mm) $4170
3 phase power for AC (and the shed later
) $1230
credit to not install or supply GDH so we can get our own heating and cooling $4840
upgrade to Rinai Infinity 26 from 135lt tank $910

They're also offering almost the retail price of the cooktop and range hood if we want to choose our own. We'll definitely choose a different range, but I think we'll keep the cooktop and maybe swap the oven and dishwasher.

Do these seem OK to you guys/gals?

We're meeting on Wednesday to sort out the final details. Hopefully by Thursday morning we'll be on our way to a new home

Thanks for your input too.
Picked our appliances the other week.
Bosch Oven Cooktop and Dishwasher with a Schweigen rangehhod

Color selection in the next couple of weeks and hopefully knock down by the time every goes on break so we can start building in the new year
Not much happening at the minute.

No building permits as yet because of an exclusion zone you can't see on the original sub division permit and an illegible copy at the land titles office. Oh and the surveyor that did the original is nowhere to be found. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news is the current house should be gone by this time next week.

The plans have been finalized though, almost the same as I posted before, but we extended the back the garage another 1m. Also to calm me down is a picture of Harvey, our Dog. He's a Groodle (Golden retriever x Std Poodle)

oow, cute
So take this place

Add a 30t excavator

and you get this

Finally some progress

Still no planning permits for the build over easement
Looking forward to more updates, Chris & Kate. We're just starting to think about considering the possibility of knocking down & rebuilding here in Lara
and had a look at a Hotondo home today - willingness to modify plans is a biggie as we have a wider, shorter block than the norm (21 x 31m) a 2m easement right across the back, currently a 7m setback (though hoping to reduce that a bit based on houses across the road and two doors down) which almost definitely means modifications of a plan. We also want the garage to be on the same side as the bedrooms as we can't move the crossover due to the stormwater drain right out the front.
Not much happening at the minute Slightly Random. We've had trouble with the survey and soil test results being different from what is actually being found after excavation and demolition.

A couple of points I would stress to no end.

1. Make sure when they do a soil test they test right around the foundation of your current home. Ours was already on a slab and there was fill that wasn't found/known of until after the house went and this has made our site costs sky rocket.

2. If you do your own demolition, excavation or site works, make sure they liaise with the builder and the builder specifies how the site needs to be before they take over.
Hi, chrisandkate! Just did a search and found your thread
We are thinking of building the Sierra with Hotondo and wondered how you got on?
Related
9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum