Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Have a look on my brick wall!

Page 1 of 1
I only selected red brick, but look at the walls:

Any suggestion?
when you say just "red", what is the name of the brick colour, and brand?

some bricks are a blend of colours. Ours is called Austral Canterbury, which is predominantly a red colour but have some browns and blue-y ones in there as well.

If you can let us know the brand and brick colour name then we can compare with a picture of it on the internet maybe and help you sort it out

FWIW I think the second picture looks nice, the top one looks a little unblended to me. Are any of these walls going to be rendered?
Hi donuts, thank you for your replay. The brick is from Selkirk, and color is "Copperstone". None of these walls will be rendered.

Actually, I have requested M3 to make a exchange of those bricks before they started the brickwork. Howerver they said they will put those black ones on the garage wall which will be hidden by neighbour garage. And the rest ones will be blended which will not break aesthetic. But they didn't.
Doesn't look like the internet picture to me

snap bel I was just about to put up that pic too

I agree, it's nothing like what it's supposed to look like.
Have you brought it up with them since they didn't do it as they said they would?
Ive found alot of bricks on internet pages don't like they do once they are on a house...
We are going with the big M.....What house are you building???
emilygirl
Ive found alot of bricks on internet pages don't like they do once they are on a house...

Totally agree, but at least they usually show if they are a blended brick, or a straight color if you know what I mean.
Hi donuts, yes I have. They said they would have a look and give me a call. Still waiting...
Hi emilygirl, my house is Santorini 26.
hamiltonzh
Hi donuts, thank you for your replay. The brick is from Selkirk, and color is "Copperstone". None of these walls will be rendered.

Actually, I have requested M3 to make a exchange of those bricks before they started the brickwork. Howerver they said they will put those black ones on the garage wall which will be hidden by neighbour garage. And the rest ones will be blended which will not break aesthetic. But they didn't.

Similar thing happened to us where our brick (which was to be all the same colour) had a mix of darker bricks in there. I called my SS and asked him to stop laying the bricks so that we could find out why there were two different colours and if they were meant to be like that. After my SS called the Brick supplier it was determined that the darker brick wasn't meant to be in the mix so we were given the choice as to how to handle it from there. Our options were to knock down what had been done (half the house) and start again with correct bricks or have a company come in after they were laid to colour the wrong ones. (I think this is called "coding" and a company called Nawkaw do it)

Demand that they do either of these things for you!!! You have paid for those bricks and you shouldn't have to pay for the wrong ones!!!!
Another santorini!!!...were going to build the 29.....I hope you keep posting...
Love to see it...
Guys, thank you for your replies. I received the call from M3 last night. They said they are very happy with their work overall:(, and ask me to talk about it with them on site later. but I think that's just waste of time. I can't accept the color.
hamiltonzh
Guys, thank you for your replies. I received the call from M3 last night. They said they are very happy with their work overall:(, and ask me to talk about it with them on site later. but I think that's just waste of time. I can't accept the color.

Well, if that is the way they want to handle it then thaey will have to foot the bill for the colouring after its finished.... this is a more expensive option for them apparently.
I got new info from M3, they said the Selkirk had inspected the brick and deem it is ok.They forward the a email from Selkirk to me like this:

"I have inspected the bricks at the above address and found them to be as ordered, Selkirk Copperstone face bricks from our batch NP0017. This is a blended brick, meaning colour variation occurs during firing.

This batch has been inspected by our Production Quality Control Dept., at our Ballarat manufacturing facility and deemed to come within the parameters set of colour, size, blend and texture expected from the Copperstone range.

Please note, this is a natural clay product that is fired at temperatures of approx 1100 degrees Celsius. Variation can occur from batch to batch due to the natural product used.
"
But I think a inspection should be done by a third-pary organization rather than a company involved in this event.
then the builder is liable for not mixing them properly.
borg

I agree. And, I reckon Selkirk should be using bricks from different batches in their sample photos. very misleading
it doesn't look like a blended brick at all in the sample pic.
donuts
borg

I agree. And, I reckon Selkirk should be using bricks from different batches in their sample photos. very misleading
it doesn't look like a blended brick at all in the sample pic.

Yep agree totally - exactly what I was going to say!
hamiltonzh
I got new info from M3, they said the Selkirk had inspected the brick and deem it is ok.They forward the a email from Selkirk to me like this:

"I have inspected the bricks at the above address and found them to be as ordered, Selkirk Copperstone face bricks from our batch NP0017. This is a blended brick, meaning colour variation occurs during firing.

This batch has been inspected by our Production Quality Control Dept., at our Ballarat manufacturing facility and deemed to come within the parameters set of colour, size, blend and texture expected from the Copperstone range.

Please note, this is a natural clay product that is fired at temperatures of approx 1100 degrees Celsius. Variation can occur from batch to batch due to the natural product used.
"
But I think a inspection should be done by a third-pary organization rather than a company involved in this event.

This is like asking the fox to guard the henhouse.
Related
27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum