Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

HELP! Shower Floors - What fall is required by Standards?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Does anyone know what is the minimum required fall in tiled shower floors and how do we actually measure that it has been done correctly??

What are the standards for levelness of tiled floors??
Is tiled floor in general a defect if it has a 'belly' in one area (ie. is not spirit level)?

Help
Shower are: Between 1:60 to 1:80
Other wet area: Between 1:80 to 1:100

To measure the fall get a spirit level and place it so it is level. You'll want a short level (say 300 mm). Measure the vertical gap from the floor to the level and measure the horizontal distance from the edge of the level resting on the floor and the place you measured the verticla distance. Divide the horizontal number by the verticla number to get the fall.

Or, do as I do, buy a digital level. This will give you a direct readout. very handy.
Thanks, Casa2!

OK, so let's say:
v = the vertical gap (measured at the deepest point)
h = horizontal distance (from where I measured the vertical gap from the bottom of the fall to the edge of spirit level)
x = the fall (the unknown) = ?

OK, x = h / v.
Let's say that h=150mm and our v = 1mm. This gives x = h/v = 150/1 = 150.
So, how do I compare this number to the standard values which are expressed in a different way?! (1:60 to 1:80) and not as a single number!?
Lex
Thanks, Casa2!

OK, so let's say:
v = the vertical gap (measured at the deepest point)
h = horizontal distance (from where I measured the vertical gap from the bottom of the fall to the edge of spirit level)
x = the fall (the unknown) = ?

OK, x = h / v.
Let's say that h=150mm and our v = 1mm. This gives x = h/v = 150/1 = 150.
So, how do I compare this number to the standard values which are expressed in a different way?! (1:60 to 1:80) and not as a single number!?

ok, so what casa2 is saying is this, the ratio of 1:60 is what you want, you have measured 1mm for the vertical drop (or rise), and 150mm for the horizontal (run), this gives you a ratio of 1:150

Simple terms, the first number is is the rise (or 1mm in your case), the second is the run (150mm in your case)

example:
rise = 5mm, run = 300mm
This would five a ratio of 5:300, which when simplifying gives 1:60

Does that make sense to you?
So, with my values of h=150mm and v=1mm (I will re-measure these values), the results is that my ratio is 1:150, which is waaaay outside the standards ...

Even if my h=300 and v=2mm, using x= h/v= 300/2 = 150/1 = 150 (again!!!)

Or, should I not actually do the division, rather replace the "/" with ":", which would leave me with 1:150 again!!!!!
like here:
x= h/v= 300/2 = (replace "/" with ":") = 300:2 = 150:1
Lex,

Yep, your fall is 1:150. This is unacceptable. Water will pond and this will be a mould, etc problem.

Cheers,
Casa
I will re-measure ...

What about other areas, like hilly floors and wavy walls? What's the standard? Has anyone had those problems?
These are covered in the Guide to Tolerances and Standards (or similar title). It may even have the shower fall requirments, etc in it.
I had already checked the Guide - it seems like there are no clear guidelines there.
It firstly talks about "faulty" or "failing" tiling, but fails to define what that is.
It mentions "uneven tiling" at the end of the chapter, but it seems to be restricted to grout. The only thing remotely resembling "wavy tiling" is "... joints that re not ... in the same plane". Can that be translated as "wavy tiling"?!
I think there's somethign about no more than 3 mm over 3 m of deviation in floors. Also there's definetly soemthign about walls.
Ahaaaa, maybe I should look at the Plastering section - thanks for that! If wall tiling is uneven, the most likely cause are obviously the walls behind it
... will have a look
Related
2/10/2023
Fall in Shower Floor

Bathrooms and Laundry

Thank you Splashers. Tomorrow I might check if I can get a few packs of 300x300 in the same tile finish. It may be good to use these could in the shower recesses. I'm not…

11/11/2023
Slab fall away

Landscape & Garden Design

I've got a challenge here. Background is the builder has cut too deep for the slab and the slab is now below the very substantial retaining wall. It's failed occupancy…

23/04/2024
Tiling a Balcony with Fall Away from House

General Discussion

AS4654.2-2012 External Membranes it is "Informative" but if you get water ingress your insurance assessor will go to this straight away and if not achieved, they will deny…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum