Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

HELP Windsor Homes problems...

Page 1 of 1
All

We were building a house with Windsor Homes but got denied finance (long story - see my other posts) so are chasing them up for return of deposit. I was told that it would be ready Tuesday last week but when I tried to ring them today all phone numbers I have (even the one in the white pages) seem to be disconnected. We paid $7500 deposit and I know I won't get it all back because of site costs etc. but we should at least hopefully get some of it.

What can I do now?
make sure you get some advice from your solicitor...
Have you physically gone around to their offices to see if they are still trading?
If they are still there, maybe you can insist on waiting for your cheque
If there is a 'closed' sign on the door... I think you've lost your money.
Keep us posted please!
Good luck
You should go straight to the Police about this. I recently learnt from a colleague in the force that you can go to the Police if someone knowingly gives you a cheque that will bounce...This would be considered much more seriously. Don't waste time.
Have you tried their website for more contact details?

http://www.windsorhomes.com.au/contactus.php

Regards,

NoviceBuilder
In response to Novice, yes I did try all their numbers on the web site and were all either disconnected or went to messages (even the 1300 number was disconnected - go figure!)

Well it turns out that Windsor is actually just a kind of marketing arm for a few different builders (they don't do any building themselves) and our actual builder was going to be JG King. I gave them a call, and found out that the sales office Windsor were using for their head office has moved/closed but I was able to get the mobile number (from JG King) of the person I need to deal with.

I tried going straight to JG King to get our money but surprise surprise, "you'll have to go through Windsor, we don't deal with Windsor's clients directly" (mind you Windsor's name is not on the building contract anywhere except for the plans) so it's all still seems very ******* but at least I was able to get in contact with them again and I can keep chasing them.
After months and months of trying to chase them up, we finally got a cheque for the deposit less their costs.

However, they said we only paid $2000 deposit, so the cheque was for about $700 ($1300 in costs - soil tests etc.). I'm fine with them taking out their costs but we paid $7500 total (we have the receipts and it's in the contract). We sent them a letter with the receipts, and once again spent a couple of months trying to chase up the other $5500.

We were told three times by three different people that a cheque for that amount had been written, they were just waiting for the director to sign it. Now all of a sudden last week we got a letter from them saying they have cancelled the cheque and we are getting nothing. We rang them and said what's going on and apparently the director made this decision and sent us the letter without telling any of his staff about it.

Needless to say, it's in the hands our solicitor...
muzzman
Needless to say, it's in the hands our solicitor...

Go for it muzzman, what about places like consumer affairs??? Also give places like Today Tonight and A Current Affair a call. I'm sure they'd love a story like this??????

Think of all the negative publicity they would get...... sweet justice indeed.
Ouch!! Bad form Windsor Homes and JG King Homes.

Remember the power of this website - lots of builders and the big companies keep track of what is being said about them. You would think that JG King would be pressuring Windsor Homes to fix this problem as it really is JG King's reputation on the line too. Good luck with it.
Credit where credit is due...

JG King hasn't been the problem - apart from being slow to get the invoice to Windsor, they have held up their end of the bargain.

I have thought about Today Tonight etc. but we'll see what the solicitor says first (better to be safe than sorry...)
That's horrible, can't you complain to the MBA or someone? I know in QLD if you make a formal complaint about a builder the MBA charges the builder $1000 to investigate them, even if their found to be right (which they clearly aren't in this case). Then I would definately call Today Tonight and get them to do a ******* builder story, I'm sure heaps more people will come out of the wood work.

Jet
muzzman
Credit where credit is due...

JG King hasn't been the problem - apart from being slow to get the invoice to Windsor, they have held up their end of the bargain.

I have thought about Today Tonight etc. but we'll see what the solicitor says first (better to be safe than sorry...)

Because you haven't build I don't think that building authorities can help you but try to call Fair Trading. they should call to the builder in your behalf and get them to send you back full money.

I remember that for soil test and plans our builder claimed $2000 which took us to the moment of lodging plans to council. $7.5k is a lot as for first deposit.

Anyway I would go o this manager personally and get this cheque.
sometime you just have to get down to their level...
kate
Related
16/12/2023
Brick Problems - Acid Burn?

Building A New House

I am not a brick expert, but rendering would be 1 option, it would be costly to do the entire house though....

24/02/2024
Weed problems

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, has anyone been ask to do the weeds in their property while in the middle of build? We are under the impression that they are in control of the site while they…

16/04/2024
Bathroom floor problems

Bathrooms and Laundry

Have had a few issues with out recently done bathroom floor. Probably around 18 months old First there has been been a crack running through a grout line which I put…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum