Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

should I change to colorbond roof?

Page 1 of 4
hello forumites

Now i have got prices on the roof tiles adn bricks that i would like, but it seems to upgrade the roof tiles can be expensive

for example, to upgrade the roof tile to category 3, it would cost extra $2605, to category 4, it would cost $4233

so i am thinking, whether I should use colour bond roof instead, i am waiting for a price quote. Should I

what is the pros and cons of a colour bond roof?

does anybody have any idea? we are building with PD

thanks in advance for your help

nh
My colorbond roof from PD was a touch over $4000 so pretty expensive too!

I like the safety aspects of colorbond, I also love the colour range, the clean lines, the durability and the sound of rain on the roof

The new modern slimline tiles are also very nice too though
Hi, Bec

it is your colour bond roof gives me the idea!!

i like a clean line look, but the tiles in teh flat profile are all quite an upgrade, so when i saw your picture, i thought, that looks great!!

but as i have read on other threads, do you need sarking and sislation?

or 4000 all inclusive?
thanks
nh
I'm pretty sure sarking is standard in PD's roofs, but we also got our ceiling upgraded to R3.5 as part of the 5 star requirements, and we didn't need to pay for it

Don't add any insulation until after your tender and see if PD give you any insulation for free - in the walls and roofs, and if they haven't then you would probably be wise to add some in at your contract
I have already unwisely asked for R3.5 Gold insulation (upgrade), it quotes $1307.

thanks for the info, when does the 5 star report comes through?

nh
also when i asked teh girl today at tender, she said they don't do sarking. (that was in relation to tiled roof), so they don't do sarking for tiled roof? only for colour bond?

nh
Hmm not sure I better check with my CSC on that

The 5 star report should be on your contract drawings - somewhere in a box on the facade picture I think
In NSW we have to fulfill something called BASIX, which I guess is similar to the 5-star thing. Here it adds lots of $$$ to your house to have colorbond, which is what I wanted at first. You have to upgrade glazing, reduce window sizes and various other things to get the right BASIX numbers with the colorbond roof. We have switched to tile.

Judie
Judie - interesting point you make about c/b.

I've done our BASIX quickly online and a Shale Grey c/b roof was fine. No changes were needed.
I would have thought that a light coloured colorbond would be better than tiles- reflect heat and not have a lot of thermal mass so would cool quickly at night? I think that here in SA Colorbond is considered the low cost option. Suits us as we prefer it to tiles

regards
sean
very interesting comments, so it looks like different states have different indications regardign colour bond.

here in Vic, apart from JG KIng, most other volume builders charge you more for colourbond roof - compare to the tiled roof.

Judie, does that mean, the colour bond roof will have a low thermal mass - requires other measures to make the 5 star energy rating?

hmm, not an easy choice.

nh
nh
also when i asked teh girl today at tender, she said they don't do sarking. (that was in relation to tiled roof), so they don't do sarking for tiled roof? only for colour bond?

nh

Sarking is definitely needed for colorbond, its actually illegal for a plumber to install colorbond roofing in Vic without the metal foil in place
. If you have colorbond roof and the foil is missing then its been installed incorrectly.

Sarking is not needed for a tiled roof because there is enough gaps between the tiles for the condensation to dissipate.
Quote:
I think that here in SA Colorbond is considered the low cost option.

Yes, these comments that colourbond costs more have always intrigued me.
Our builder does colourbond as standard - like sean, that suited us anyway.
Snake
Sarking is definitely needed for colorbond, its actually illegal for a plumber to install colorbond roofing in Vic without the metal foil in place
. If you have colorbond roof and the foil is missing then its been installed incorrectly.

Do you have any websites etc where you have this written, I want to show it to my builder in case they try to not give it to me/charge me extra for it
haywgl
Snake

Do you have any websites etc where you have this written, I want to show it to my builder in case they try to not give it to me/charge me extra for it

My plumber friend told me this and said to contact the Plumbing Industry Commission http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/7-home-page.asp
I took his word for it.
Thanks - if they kick up I will give them the link.

I'm awaiting an email from my CSC to find out if it is included in the upgrade price for colorbond and if not then why we weren't given an option to include it
Hi, haywgl

i will be interested to know as well. keep us informed.

nh
Just heard back from my CSC and sarking is included in the PD price for colorbond

Wooohoo!!
haywgl
Just heard back from my CSC and sarking is included in the PD price for colorbond

Wooohoo!!

Excellent
thats the way it should be. Another stress avoided.
sarking isn't needed for colorbond roofs where the roof pitch is sufficiently high. Ours has a 25 degree pitch and we were told this was high enough for the condensation to run down along the roof, rather than drip down onto the ceiling.

Tiled roofs should have sarking though - because wind swept rain can often get pushed underneath the tiles.
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum