Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder to finish incomplete build

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately our builder just went into liquidation. We just finished frame stage, and paid for it. A few days later the roof was put on and we got the devastating news.

We obviously need to find a builder to finish the house. I understand builders are reluctant to take on incomplete builds, rightly so. I’m really scared to sign with any of the big builders due to the state of the industry. So I’m looking for a small construction company. I’ve been advised to not have the insurance company assign a builder as they will just get the cheapest company to do it. I’ve seen some of their work and it was awful. I understand I’m in a beggars can’t be choosers situation which makes it even more difficult. I am happy to and understand we’ll have to pay more money, especially if we choose the builder. Also I’m eager to get construction started asap as our frame is exposed to the elements, the plastic sheeting wasn’t put up. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a smaller construction company? Or even just some advice for others who’ve been through this.
Thanks so much for reading.
Miapod
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately our builder just went into liquidation. We just finished frame stage, and paid for it. A few days later the roof was put on and we got the devastating news.

We obviously need to find a builder to finish the house. I understand builders are reluctant to take on incomplete builds, rightly so. I’m really scared to sign with any of the big builders due to the state of the industry. So I’m looking for a small construction company. I’ve been advised to not have the insurance company assign a builder as they will just get the cheapest company to do it. I’ve seen some of their work and it was awful. I understand I’m in a beggars can’t be choosers situation which makes it even more difficult. I am happy to and understand we’ll have to pay more money, especially if we choose the builder. Also I’m eager to get construction started asap as our frame is exposed to the elements, the plastic sheeting wasn’t put up. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a smaller construction company? Or even just some advice for others who’ve been through this.
Thanks so much for reading.

So sorry to hear about the position you are in.

The good news is that the builder has finished the hardest stages and finishing the house from here should be relatively straight forward, so have you thought about becoming an owner builder and just managing the finishing stages?

I would be happy to talk to you offline to explain how easy it would be if you like. It will take a bit of work on your part but you will save a lot of money and have piece of mind that you aren't relying on another builder.

Happy to help

Cheers

Simeon
Hi Simeon,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

We initially thought about it but were told it was too hard and stressful as we have no experience. My husband works in IT and I work in healthcare and we know nothing about construction. So we wouldn’t be able to really do anything my ourself but obviously happy to have tradesmen do everything. I would love some more informations if you have the time. At this stage it’s looking like owner builder is our best option. Our most recent quote to finish the house was $406k even though we’ve already finished frame and have most of the roof on. Our whole build was only meant to cost $398k.
Hi,

did you get any money from insurance? if you did, does it match what you've already paid the builders?
Related
4/06/2024
Incomplete Building Project

General Discussion

Hello, I recently encountered a setback as my previous builder went into liquidation, leaving my building project incomplete. I'm now in search of a reliable builder to…

15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

14/01/2024
Render finish

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

But they didn't even leave it at one level it goes up and down along the whole front of the house

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum