Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Will this tree be a show stopper? (Tree Protection Zone ques

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
We are looking into a Knock Down Rebuild project in SE Melbourne. Our land is in Monash city's Vegetation Protection Overlay zone. There is a big gum tree in the back neighbour's yard, right next to our back fence. The tree is about 15m high with BHD of 50cm.
We are hoping to build our house with a 5-6m setback at the back. Before we engage an arborist to issue a detailed report which would cost ~$1000, I wonder if anyone has an idea if this gum tree would be a show stopper?
I am worried there would be a huge Tree Protection Zone imposed by this tree, which would force us to have a much bigger setback. This would mean we won't be able to build our preferred house.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Jing
Anyone has ideas?
Every council will be different so start with a call to your local council. They should be able to point you in the right direction and perhaps provide a site visit from a council worker.

Hi HSH8433,
I'm currently going through this now within the Whitehorse council which has a similar set of restrictions. We're having to make compromises with our floor plan due to the Tree Protection Zone. Were you able to build your preferred house?
Related
3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

21/05/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, One of my favourite parts of a build is when the temporary fence comes down and the home begins to reveal itself. It also means we are on the home straight…

13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum