Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

St Ives - Custom Build in a Flame Zone

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone

So excited because today we are starting our latest custom build in St Ives. Here is a link to the quick pre demo video. I will try and post updates along the way.

Quick project summary; GFA is 511sqm, has 3 kitchens, a concrete pool, movie theatre, 5 bedrooms, split level, double garage and awesome clients.

Main construction materials will be concrete slab, steel frames and Hebel extrernal walls plus all of the flame zone things we need to do.

Anyway, check in for updates

Cheers

Simeon

PS Sorry the video is linked twice, I tried to remove it but couldn't.
Good luck with the build, hopefully the weather improves.

I'm not far away, drove past today and saw the demo guys in full swing. Look forward to seeing it progress.
cag57
Good luck with the build, hopefully the weather improves.

I'm not far away, drove past today and saw the demo guys in full swing. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Hi Cag57

A local! awesome. It's such a nice street. As we get further with the build feel free to drop in and say hello

Cheers

Simeon
Quick update

Rain has finally stopped and we started digging the pool today!

Getting out of the ground on all projects has been a nightmare this year.

Hi Everyone

Quick update video on St Ives.

Work has been very slow with the weather and we have been hampered by site conditions. This site retains a lot of water even after the rain stops.

Anyhow, we have benched, piered, plumbed for the slab and poured the pool shell. When the rain stops we are straight into the slab.

Here is a quick video.
Good on you for sharing, that's a nice thing you are doing.
Brianaurum
Good on you for sharing, that's a nice thing you are doing.

No problem and thanks!

Just happy to share our journey so others can learn and be here as a resource to help answer people's questions when I can.

cheers

Simeon
Hi.
Any updates on this build?
Cheers
Danes
Hi.
Any updates on this build?
Cheers

Danes

Sorry I haven't done an update for a while.

Build is going well getting close to finishing, just tiling the bathrooms, about to finish the pool, joinery should go in in the next 4-5 weeks and getting close to starting external works.

I have attached a

facade photo from today.

If you have any specific questions just ask, happy to answer anything or if you are in the area give me a shout and I can give you a tour.

cheers

Simeon
Here are a few aerial shots we took a few weeks back.

Looks great, Simeon.
Just wondering how much extra would the FZ rating have put on top of a regular build like this?
PM is fine, if you wish.
TIA
Danes
Looks great, Simeon.
Just wondering how much extra would the FZ rating have put on top of a regular build like this?
PM is fine, if you wish.
TIA

Danes

Thanks!

The FZ requirements have probably added around $140-150,000 to this build, keeping in mind we were really careful around window sizes and external wall choices.

Window sizes and the number of windows has the biggest impact on cost in an FZ zone. On this build our clients were great and allowed us to keep total window area to around 60 sqm, compare this to a normal 500sqm home which typically would be around 90-110 sqm.

So the rough breakdown is as follows:

1. Fireshutters - $90,000
2. Roofing - all of the 15mm ply, fire retardant sealant and fireproof insulation - $30,000
3. Firecheck and ply to eaves, fire rated foam and sealant to every ridge in the kliplok and every penetration - $10,000
4. Thicker glass to windows - $10,000 approx

This house is 511 sqm so it has added around 10% to the price.

I hope this makes sense if not let me know

Cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes
Danes
Looks great, Simeon.
PM is fine, if you wish.
TIA

Danes

Thanks!

The FZ requirements have probably added around $140-150,000 to this build, keeping in mind we were really careful around window sizes and external wall choices.

Window sizes and the number of windows has the biggest impact on cost in an FZ zone. On this build our clients were great and allowed us to keep total window area to around 60 sqm, compare this to a normal 500sqm home which typically would be around 90-110 sqm.

2. Roofing - all of the 15mm ply, fire retardant sealant and fireproof insulation - $30,000
3. Firecheck and ply to eaves, fire rated foam and sealant to every ridge in the kliplok and every penetration - $10,000

Cheers

Simeon

Thanks, Simeon.

That's very helpful. Additional 10% does not sound that bad. I'm assuming you've just used standard windows, covered by FZ rated shutters?
Or did windows and shutters have to have a certain BAL rating?
Danes
Ashington Homes
Danes
Looks great, Simeon.
PM is fine, if you wish.
TIA

Danes

Thanks!

Cheers

Simeon

Thanks, Simeon.

That's very helpful. Additional 10% does not sound that bad. I'm assuming you've just used standard windows, covered by FZ rated shutters?
Or did windows and shutters have to have a certain BAL rating?

Danes

When you use shutters, you need 5mm, glass so we have used commercial frames with 6mm.

We have another client who hates shutters and wants fire rated glass, this is where costs blow out. That house is 368sqm has a swimming pool, including demo and landscaping will be $1.3m so roughly $3500/sqm, St Ives is roughly $3100/sqm including pool, landscaping, demo and design.

Cheers

Simeon
👍👍 Simeon
Hi Everyone

It's been ages since I posted anything about this project.

We are finally handing over this week and just working through a few final bits and pieces.

But here are some photos. I can't get any internals today as the client is moving boxes of stuff in, but once they are cleared I will see if I can get some interior shots.

This project was was started in the midst of all that rain last year, then we suffered all of those material shortages and some other delays, but the end result is good and the relationship with our client has finished on fantastic terms, so I think we are all happy to be finished.

And the clients get to plan a fantastic summer BBQing and entertaining by the pool.

We had a local agent through the other day to get his opinion on value and he said $6.2m at the low end and $6.5m at the upper end. Interesting to know. Apparently the market is starting to cool a little up here which is why the big range.

Now onto the next one.

Cheers

Simeon

Amazing job Simeon. Looks fabulous.
suku18
Amazing job Simeon. Looks fabulous.

Thank you so much
Related
21/05/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, One of my favourite parts of a build is when the temporary fence comes down and the home begins to reveal itself. It also means we are on the home straight…

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum