Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Redink SOR First time builders-The end has arrived!

Page 50 of 65
I really like how the rock salt has turned out. It's the benchtop in our laundry too
And then we used it as the bottom cupboard colour in bathrooms with dark benchtop. It has such a nice textured look about it and pretty neutral. In photos it always looks sort of creamy or yellowy (could be my broken camera phone) but I think it's a very soothing, natural looking colour. We were luck that we got an interior designer for a day through our builder. We'd have been lost without her. And yes, I think we all second guess our choices, but it all seems to work out doesn't it?!

I just googled the euro beech, that's really pretty. Very scandi looking! Would look really pretty.
Euro beech

viewtopic.php?t=72683
Lol I'm such a dill, I thought I was typing that into Google!

viewtopic.php?t=72683
Thats so funny trix .lol
Ardie I didnt even know what scandi was until I watched the block .
trixee

viewtopic.php?t=72683

I thought maybe we were voting
You guys make me crack up .
trixee

viewtopic.php?t=72683

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b609/WestAussieforeva/smashing-laptop-with-bat_zpsfgqcno8l.gif
Ardie how're things going with your build? Hope you're well and that things are moving along nicely
Can't wait for more photos!
Ardieeeeee!!!! Oh my lordy look at all the wonderful exciting things that have been happening since i disappeared!! Everything is looking so gorgeous, and I am so glad you are that close to crossing the finish line! Looking at that list I think PCI in 4 weeks is easily done. They always like to give themselves extra breathing room when it comes to committing to a date just in case i think. I was begging for a date for ages, then all of a sudden they called and said 'oh yep pci in two days'! haha. I think you will be pleasantly surprised
Love all your shopping choices as well, the lighting will look amazing! Cant wait for you to finally be able to move in and make it your own...and so we can see the pics! Not long now
xx
Thanks dee and MalSannie. Yes, I'm told things are moving along, but trying not to go by the house every day so that I'm pleasantly happy when I do go over and see more progress. They totally won't commit to a PCI date, still telling me that they're aiming for the end of April, but judging from the list and what's left I am optimistic it will be quicker than that.

The bad news is that I just found out that our kitchen tap (and other tapware) was stolen from the house. It was an item we supplied ourselves since they couldn't offer us anything like it at pre start. We were instructed to turn it over to the plumbing company way back in September, before brickwork started. Apparently, our contract does state that owner supplied items are not the builder's responsibility. Had I been made aware of this at prestart when we they knew we were supplying a few items ourselves, or read the contract more carefully when I signed it, I might have insisted that we hold onto it until they actually needed it. I don't remember ever seeing it, or any other plumbing fixtures, sitting in the house, but I'm not there every day. I did see the plumber the day he was there and he said he didn't know where it was. They also usually seem to do a really good job of locking up the house, but I know we've managed to sneak in a couple times through a window (kids are handy for this!) so I guess anyone else could get in too. We just always assumed that everything was the builder's responsibility. It wasn't crazy expensive, but we paid over $200 with shipping etc so I'm really disappointed. And now I'm a bit concerned about our glass doors that we supplied and are just sitting around in the house. Just got off the phone with insurance company so we can start the policy asap just in case. Anyone else have experience with anything like this? Do we have any argument to make with the builder and fight it? I started a really angry email reply, but deleted it and will speak with my more level headed hubby this evening

Anyway, otherwise things are slowly getting done. Here's THE LIST (per builder):
• Plumbing and gas final (partially completed)
• Painter to attend to complete gloss out (scheduled for week of 23rd March)
• Shower screen/mirrors and robe install (scheduled for this week, possibly completed)
• Door furniture fit off (scheduled to be completed by week of 30 March)
• Roller door install
• House clean
• Silicone
• Final site clean
• PART B Termico spray to perimeter
• Power up house (scheduled to be completed by 27 March)
• Air conditioning Install (scheduled to be completed by 27 March)

My list:
• Front door painted
• Splashback area painted before glass installation (scheduled to be completed by 23 March)
• Additional down pipe installation
• Fix the kitchen island powerpoint and island end panel (scheduled to be completed week of 23rd March)
• Move the light switch on the front entry wall to correct location
Hi Ardie, sorry to hear about the stolen taps, from my previous build years ago and my upcoming one unfortunately its always been our responsibility if things were stolen, hence we never did supply anything. I know that doesn't help much, just lucky it wasn't to expensive
Oh no ardie, that's awful! I'm a bit surprised they didn't tell you that owner-supplied items wouldn't be covered by their insurance, it was mentioned to us several times. You have every right to be upset at them for that, unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do about it. Hm, unless they have a legal responsibility to tell you? But if that's the case I think it would be in the contract. It's good that you've already gone and gotten insurance out now, if only you'd known at the beginning!
I was just wondering what ardie was up too .really disappointed to here someone stole your tap wear . Its quite strange they wonted the tap wear so soon . I hope it gets sorted out for you .how did you get house insurance already .we couldnt get ours till we got keys .we had our own elec go in and put our downlights in before we got keys . And wonted to get insurance but got a no from insurance company
That's so awful that your taps are gone Ardie

Our prestart consultant stressed to us that anything we supply won't be covered by builder insurance but from memory it was my Dad who originally told us that...I can't remember if we prompted them first.

What was the go with insurance? Can you get the house insured before lock up? I need to look into that...

Fingers crossed that PCI is just around the corner!
Thanks everyone. Yeah I remember talking to our prestart consultant about getting our own tap, she even googled it to make sure it met standard. Definitely didn't mention the liability issue. But it is in the building contract, so our own dumb fault for not paying better attention. For some reason we had to deliver it to their plumbing contractor before brickwork started. If I'd known about the liability issue I'd have asked to hold onto it until needed. We also supplied glass doors and they didn't want those on site until they were ready for installation. Our glass splashback goes in on monday so i definitely want that covered. Yes, we're with AAMI and our policy started as of today. Went with very low excess for this first month, then we'll adjust it once we have keys and add contents. They were super accommodating.
Oh no ardie!
how horrible that your taps were stolen. Its really funny thdiscrepancies between builders, ours shut us down instantly when we asked and wouldnt allow us to supply anything ourselves. Hope you manage to sort the insurance out for some peace of mind. x
Oh Ardie that really is rubbish

Hope you can get them replaced ok.
I feel so much for you Ardie as you may recall our taps and light fittings were stolen 2 days before handover, it sucks!!! We supplied the light fittings but thankfully I took out building insurance the day before they were installed as the Builder reiterated to me they weren't covered by their building insurance. I really hope the rest of the journey is smooth sailing!!!
So sorry to hear about your taps Ardie! Sad that these thugs have nothing better to do with their time than go steal building material from others.
Glad to hear things are moving along though and hope it all goes smoothly from now on!
Related
2/01/2024
Please advice, are roof flashings required at the end of the

General Discussion

Minimum overhang into gutter must be 50mm, turn down tool should not split the sheet. it seems wrong tool for the profile was used, the flashing cannot slope back. Rib…

21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum