Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 34 of 62
I've seen those mirror heaters in posh hotels. A lovely touch!

Meanwhile I just had my builder suggest to get my carpeting done AFTER my tiling (we're doing both post-handover). She said she had her carpets laid first (in her own house) and then the tiling, and there was tiling dust and grout and dirty boots all over her new carpet. I was very grateful for the advice because I would never really have consider the order of laying to be important.
Ca6leguy
Stewie D
a mirror that doesn't fog up when you're in the shower.
It is a thin pad fixed to the back of the mirror and acts like a small heater for the mirror. It plugs into a power socket so you would need to have power in the back of your shaving cabinet to be able to hook it up.

A hairdryer will clear the fog up within seconds.

I like the fogged mirror, so I can scribble "I Love You" for my wife to see
Vatche

Awww, how nice is that!
Vatche

Wait till you start seeing scribble that you or your wife didn't write.
Ca6leguy
Vatche

Wait till you start seeing scribble that you or your wife didn't write.

Quote:
I like the fogged mirror, so I can scribble "I Love You" for my wife to see.

What a guy !
Do it with lipstick instead - that's what my girlfriend used to do ( but getting it off was a real bi..ch ! )
Um , I'm not implying in any way you wear lipstick but you get the drift... ( and if you do well who am I to say ).

Stewie
Stewie D
Quote:
I like the fogged mirror, so I can scribble "I Love You" for my wife to see.

What a guy !
Do it with lipstick instead - that's what my girlfriend used to do ( but getting it off was a real bi..ch ! )
Um , I'm not implying in any way you wear lipstick but you get the drift... ( and if you do well who am I to say ).

Stewie

Bit off topic.

One thing I found out that, if you have an underground rainwater tank, there is a control & management system gets installed at the side of the house. Make sure you have a say in where it is installed and get the builder to place a cover box for it.

Our builder (Masterton) would not place a cover over an exposed outdoor rainwater tank management system. Spend $$$ to build, but they will not spend $40 to finish the product with visually ecstatic cover. They say it is not in their policy or in the contract.

Had I known about it, I would have got them install on the other side of the house, where we have a gate to conceal.
Vatche
there is a control & management system gets installed at the side of the house. Make sure you have a say in where it is installed and get the builder to place a cover box for it.

Our builder (Masterton) would not place a cover over an exposed outdoor rainwater tank management system. Spend $$$ to build, but they will not spend $40 to finish the product with visually ecstatic cover. They say it is not in their policy or in the contract.

Had I known about it, I would have got them install on the other side of the house, where we have a gate to conceal.

A pretty ordinary attitude on their part.
Check your plans for concrete finish in the garage and alfresco area, some friends if ours have just moved into their new home and the concrete slab hasn't been smoothed quite rough, and when they enquirer about they were told you didn't stipulate finish in the contract. Strange I thought
Sambogirl81
Check your plans for concrete finish in the garage and alfresco area, some friends if ours have just moved into their new home and the concrete slab hasn't been smoothed quite rough, and when they enquirer about they were told you didn't stipulate finish in the contract. Strange I thought

We were told they are deliberately finished roughly like that (?"broom finish I think it's called") for areas that are likely to be tiled(alfresco/porch) to aid with tile adhesion. Is that not right??
Things we forgot:
- 2 way switches, powerpoints... need lots and lots of them.
- Insulation... and make sure the roof insulation is NOT blow-in, that stuff is nasty!
- Big rear garage door (will be quite useful to work on the backyard, if you have a narrow block)
Excellent thread.. I'm building my 2nd house now and sent many of the great ideas posted within these pages to my sales consultant.. Came back to $176,000+ in extra variations
worktime
Excellent thread.. I'm building my 2nd house now and sent many of the great ideas posted within these pages to my sales consultant.. Came back to $176,000+ in extra variations

worktime

Just tick all the boxes and worry about the cost later..............

It'll be an awesome house
!!!!

P_D
Please remember to frost your bathroom windows......

We frosted ours, but our neighbours whose bathroom I can look down into from our bedroom or up into from the clothesline DIDNT! It's not a great view!!
smorgzzz

We frosted ours, but our neighbours whose bathroom I can look down into from our bedroom or up into from the clothesline DIDNT! It's not a great view!!

I was told that all bathroom and toilet window glasses are frosted. Unless small builders cutting corners and costs by not having them.
Vatche
smorgzzz

I was told that all bathroom and toilet window glasses are frosted. Unless small builders cutting corners and costs by not having them.

Ours certainly weren't and we went with a big volume builder...
Vatche
smorgzzz

That's what my builder said as well.
Don't think ours will be, but dont they have blinds?

My husband is a builder and thought it was code to have frosted glass to bathrooms!
Our builder was standard.

Apparently builders are leaving them plain glass!

Yep, they have blinds but the blinds get left open all the time!
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum